Chapter 71 - Best friend

When Ye Yao went to see Lu Xun again, he was relieved to find that his fever had gone down.

Lu Xun was feeling better with only a slight cough, but when Ye Yao visited him at home, he suddenly wished he hadn't lost his fever.

Lu Xun took the porridge and stepped back before Ye Yao offered to leave, giving Ye Yao the way into the house.

His private space, open to another person.

"I can't eat so much with a weak appetite, so I can't waste it, we'll eat together and I'll share some with you." Lu Xun said in a muffled voice.

Ye Yao didn't refuse, he went inside and watched Lu Xun rummage through the cupboards, found him some unused disposable dishes, and ladled out a bowl of porridge.

As it happens, it is impossible to have dishes that need to be washed in a school bully's house where you live alone, and the whole family doesn't go hungry when one person is full anyway.

The porridge was put on the table and Ye Yao, without saying anything, joined Lu Xun at the table and ate.

Lu Xun takes a sip of the congee and takes a quick glance at Ye Yao, repeating this action, the more he looks at the congee the better it smells.

Lu Xun's nose was stuffy and he couldn't tell what the congee tasted like, but he found the bowl of congee to be aromatic, soft and sweet, the best congee he had ever eaten.

This is not the first time they have eaten together - they often sit at the same table in the school canteen - but it is the first time they have eaten together in such a setting.

There is something particularly homely about Ye Yao in a domestic setting, not unlike when they are outside.

It would be nice to have more opportunities to have dinner with Ye Yao like this in the future.

*::

Ye Yao finds himself in a better and better relationship with Lu Xun.

For example, on his way to school early in the morning, he would often see the school bully, who was a stranger, parked on the side of the road to eat his breakfast, and when he saw him he would hand him one, saying that he had bought too much to eat or that his breakfast was not to his liking for the day and asked him to help him with part of it.

For example, Lu Xun would offer to copy his homework for him, and sometimes he would see Lu Xun after class, thinking hard just to get the problem done as quickly as possible.

The prodigal son has returned and Ye Yao is quite happy with this and hopes Lu Xun will continue.

It was a sunny day and Ye Yao left for school as usual. Before he left, he saw his father coming home from his night shift.

Papa Ye looked at Ye Yao for a few moments and said in amazement, "Have you started to put on some weight lately?"

Ye Yao was stunned: "Yes?"

Papa Ye nodded, "There's a bit more flesh on my cheeks than there used to be. But he looks better than before, he was too thin and didn't look good."

Papa Ye patted Ye Yao's shoulder with relief, "You are even more handsome now than before. Do you often get love letters from others at school now? It's okay to fall in love, just don't interfere with your studies, both are big events in life."

Papa Ye looked at his own son's face and realised: "Is it the little girl who likes you and sneaks you a snack or breakfast?"

Ye Yao: "...... Nothing like that, Dad, don't think too much."