Fifty-six | Goodbyes

The African Alphas stood regally at the flat stone border in human form. Visena sat cross-legged before them with a beaming smile, and without fail, everyone returned the expression warmly. They seemed to sense her status in human form, unlike the other continent's wolves. "I saw that one of your Alpha's is my Gamma's mate. Is she here?"

"Alheri is my neighbouring pack's Alpha," a young man with rich ebony skin spoke gently. "She is not here yet."

"That's alright. What is your name?"

"Folami," he replied with a tender smile.

Just as Visena went to shift, Gideon tapped her shoulder. "He's waiting at the packhouse with Alpha Alheri."

"I'll meet her right after this shift," she replied with a grin.

Their wolves shifted like all the packs before and mingled excitedly. But, unlike the others, they would bow and rub their cheeks across Visena's, placing their scent upon her. It felt like a cheek kiss if she were in human form. Then, when they shifted back, Visena was embraced by many warm arms. She had never felt more loved by strangers.

"What do you expect from us?" Folami asked curiously. The other Alpha's nodded, sharing his sentiment.

"Nothing at all. You are so far from here that the choice is yours. What I hope for you all is the freedom to choose. I will do everything I can to destroy the Councils' hold across the continents, and you can decide if you recognise me as your Queen or not."

"The bond is clear. There is no denying it, but how will we survive if we follow you and are free from the Council? They control the pack's money, and most of what we have goes to our communities, wolf and human alike."

Visena pondered for a moment. She was sure she could make more money with magic, but that felt slightly sketchy. "I know the current Wolf Council leader, Svend. I'll make sure he tells me how to keep everyone's allowances going."

"Thank you. We must be going now. Please let Alheri know our flight leaves at nine, and if she is not there, she will have to find her own way. I would rather get the fourteen-hour flight over and done with." Folami smiled one last time before the Alpha's turned and headed out of the forest.

"Can we go meet her now?" Visena jumped up and down, squeezing Gideon's hands.

"Come on then."

The pair made their way to the packhouse, and the sight that welcomed them was enough to stab a hole in Visena's heart.

"Please shift. I want to see you," Alheri begged, burying her slender fingers in Jed's chocolate fur. Like her wolf's fur, her skin was predominantly bronze with intricate alabaster markings across her face and hands. Visena remembered from her time alongside humans a skin condition; vitiligo. She didn't think that non-humans could have it, though. Odd.

Jed lowered his head onto his paws and huffed into the dirt.

"Alpha Alheri," Visena called softly.

The woman spun and tried to mask her pained expression as her mate hid from her.

"Queen Visena, I assume?"

The women bowed their heads slightly to one another, and Visena took Alheri's hand. "Come with me." Then, glancing at her mate and his brother, she pulled the other woman into the packhouse dining room. 

Cassia sat on the floor, pulling tissues from a tissue box as Liam ran around preparing a bottle. "Sorry!" he shouted. "I'll be done soon...."

Cassia abandoned her task and crawled over to Visena, lifting her arms for a hug. The Fae obliged and squeezed the infant in her arms. "Da da," Cassia babbled, pointing to Liam.