Fifty-eight | Ceremony

It was the afternoon of the Summer Solstice, and Prim, now five months pregnant, helped Visena, Eve, and Nairi get ready for their mating ceremony. Their mates stayed at Praelia with the other unmated wolves of age, preparing for the occasion.

"Just put it on and stop complaining. It won't be for long anyway!"

"It just feels impractical wearing a flowy gown when we're running for our lives."

"Fucking hell, Eve, stop being so dramatic. You've wanted Thyra to mark you for months!"

"Yes," Nairi remarked, adjusting her neckline to show her ample cleavage and toned upper abs. "I cannot wait a moment longer. If Liam doesn't mark me tonight, I will have to kill him."

Visena rolled her eyes at both women. "Why are you both being so... so horny?"

Prim chuckled. "For most wolves, the mating pull is insanely strong, and they mark each other quickly, which you couldn't do because of your pack positions. Of course, maybe it's because you're only half-wolf, so it isn't so bad."

"Whatever you say..."

"Excuse me, Alpha Queen?" A small voice asked from the doorway.

The familiar face smiled demurely, and Visena grinned at the welcome intrusion."Zahrah! It's so good to see you! Cassia's just playing in her room next door."

Zahrah looked much healthier and stronger after months of training with the Praelia wolves. She looked more confident, too, making eye contact with Visena with less discomfort.

Visena approached her and clasped her borderline clammy hands. "She will need a bottle, brushed teeth, a book, then bed. Liam has her bedtime ritual sorted, so they're trying to keep it the same each night..."

"Sounds wonderful. I'm happy to watch over her." 

Nairi narrowed her eyes at Zahrah. "You don't want to join in on the hunt?"

The woman blushed. "I wouldn't know what to do if I caught any of you... No thanks, I'd much rather spend the night watching over Cassia."

"Yes, well, please take care of her. And give her a kiss from me."

Visena almost melted watching Nairi and Cassia's relationship grow. The little girl trusted the new Beta immediately, and one night during bathtime, Visena overheard her calling Nairi: mama. It was no surprise when the couple asked permission to adopt the cherub. With tears in her eyes, Visena responded with a resounding yes! She took great joy in becoming Cassia's godmother.

The sun dipped snugly in the treeline while the moon rose above them. Full and partially eclipsed. The astrological events had the forest coming alive. Visena could feel the magic in the air as thundering paws sounded in the distance.

"They must be ready for you now. Quickly, get to the forest's edge. Everyone knows the rules, right? You must stay inside the Invictus boundaries for safety. And don't make it easy on your mates either. Hina is said to bless the mates that show the most perseverance and courage."

"I think I've been blessed more than enough," Visena said under her breath. She still wouldn't go easy on Gideon. She loved hide and seek.

The women jogged over to the tree line as the scratching of paws, and lusty growls grew louder.

"Go now," Prim whispered. "Good luck, and don't come back here until dawn. Go!"

With one last smile at her most trusted friends, Visena bunched her chiffon gown in her fists and sprinted barefoot into the darkening woods. Eve and Nairi went in opposite directions with excited laughs while Visena suppressed her giddiness, heading to her favourite spot. She had almost made it to the pond when dozens of howls ripped through the trees.