Sixty- five | Conspiracies

The morning of the full moon was upon them. Calypso was nearly ready to replace the binding, and Visena was nearly ready to tear her hair out. 

Gradually, the flashbacks and depression had returned, and it appeared Hina was amping up the punishment. Every time Visena closed her eyes, she saw her dead friend. What was worse was the images of Gideon with his throat slit. She thought she was hiding it well, but Gideon watched her with unmasked suspicion-laced worry.

"It's time to address the packs," Nairi puffed while helping Visena add the finishing touches to her look. The Kevlar jumpsuit hugged every inch of her body, shielding her internal organs and lifting the aesthetic features in the process. 

"Why does everything Thana wears have to be so sexy?" Visena demanded as Nairi yanked the laces taut on her calf hugging boots. Her skin-tight undergarments highlighted her musculature, and Prim's braids expertly woven in her hair made her feel like a badass.

"You are sexy. Own it. Do you know what you're going to say to them?" the Beta asked with a raised brow.

 Visena shrugged and moved her body around the room, squatting and twisting, testing the outfit's flexibility. Despite its tightness, the Fae could adequately move to defend herself if needed.

"You look like a dork."

"Says the one mated to the dorkiest man I know."

"Hey!"

"I'm kidding!" Half- kidding. "I've seen what that guy has got underneath his shirt. You must be enjoying yourself."

"My Queen!" Nairi blushed. "Hurry up, let's go."

The women giggled and made their way to the pack house's front porch. Visena tried not to falter when the endless crowd bowed their heads, Wolf and Vampire alike.

"Hi- I mean, welcome, Invictus, Praelia and Vampires. Thank you for helping me with this," she started. "The Human Council has committed horrendous crimes against our people. All of our people." She looked at the wolves and Mihnea, an ache blooming in her chest. So many Vampires needlessly died because of her spiralling mental health. 

"The time for sitting idle is over. The Humans and the Councils will no longer be the puppeteers of our fate. We thought Zeir was the true evil of the Wolves, but I believe he was just a pawn." The packs murmured amongst themselves. "You're last Alphas were murdered by Hunters, and they framed the Vampires to fuel our hatred of one another." Both groups looked at one another wide-eyed. 

How many died because of a lie? Scapegoats in each other's nightmares.

"We will bring them to our pack lands and cleanse the earth of these monsters. There is no need for humans to rule us, control us or know our existence ever again!"

Cheers broke out through the crowd, deafening the Fae-Wolf Queen. 

Gideon stepped forward from his position beside her, and the wolves quieted, offering another deep bow. His aura projected leadership and Kingliness far more than Visena could even comprehend.

His strong voice boomed across the forest. "Before we leave here today, I want to honour Praelia's Alpha, Thyra. She has lost her way from grief, but we will do all we can to return her to her rightful place. I know Beta T has stepped up to honorary Alpha while she is away, and I want to offer my support. As Wolves of the Queen," he spoke, turning his head to his beaming mate. 

"And King!" a familiar voice yelled from the middle of the crowd. Prim. The cry had started a rallying cheer from the wolves in attendance.

"And King," Gideon confirmed. "After careful consideration," he held a barely restrained smirk from his mate. "And a conversation with Beta T, that these three packs and any Vampires who wish to have a home here, be united under one banner and one name."

Visena's heart thumped in her chest. What are you doing, Gideon?  

The crowd paused with bated breath, their composure barely restrained under their King's approving gaze.

Gideon's body seemed to grow as he stood before the wolves, his Wolves. 

Our wolves.

"From this day forward, this pack will be known as Regium Pack!"

The cheers that erupted through the forest muffled Visena's open-mouthed shock and high pitched voice, "What the fuck? How did you know?"

Her mate pulled her into a tight embrace and mindlinked her. Liam told me.

That little shit. Are you sure you're okay with it?

Of course. It might be the best idea you've ever had.

She punched his shoulder with a laugh as the pack hollered and embraced. It was a bittersweet celebration, and Visena briefly wondered how many of them she would lose by the night's end before a hug from her heavily pregnant friend distracted her.

"I'm so proud of you," she puffed. "You are the greatest Wolf- Faery, Alpha Queen I have ever known."

"The only one, you mean?" Visena felt a butterfly flutter against her stomach where Prim's belly met hers. "She's kicking me again!" she cried, grinning. "Already a fighter, just like her momma." 

Visena poked the little bump, and Prim giggled before her face scrunched, and she bit back a cry. "Did you just say, she? It's a girl?"

"Oh god, I'm sorry, Prim! I didn't mean to; I could be wrong. She just feels like a girl... Shit, Prim, I'm sorry!"

"No," Prim blubbered. "It's okay! I was dreaming it was a girl." Orion appeared behind her and tucked his chin over her shoulder, his hands cradling her belly.

His stubbled face broke into an endearing smile as Prim sniffled. "Pregnancy hormones, huh? Gotta love 'em."

Visena laughed and turned to her mate. He was divine. Good enough to eat. It was an accident, but those words shot through the mind link faster than she could take them back. 

Gideon stiffened and cocked his brow. Ditto, he replied, his teeth gnawing the inside of his lip as he turned back to his people. "Wolves, head to the old Malum intersection and wait for our signal. Vampires stay hidden in the forest until the sun goes down. We don't want humans knowing you can survive in the sunlight if we can help it. Go and keep yourself safe. Remember your training."

The fighters stripped and shifted, leaving their clothes in neat piles in the training squares. I've trained them well, Visena thought with a smile. The Vampires flitted off into the forest, their King giving one last appreciative look before trailing down the path with Calypso's hand clasped in his own.

"They are so cute together," Prim whispered.

"I heard that," Mihnea murmured over his shoulder with a smirk. Prim flushed with embarrassment as Ambrose floated up the stairs.

"Quite a speech, King and Queen of the Wolves," he said with a ghostly smile.

"Ambrose," Visena dipped her head in greeting. "Will you be joining us for the fight?"

"Indeed, I will, dear." He turned and drifted back from where he came—following behind Calypso and Mihnea.

Thana gave one head nod to the Wolves and trailed Ambrose, a frown marring her face. Visena mirrored her expression and looked at Ambrose again. "Hmm."

"What is it, my love?"

Visena shook her head. There wasn't time to be creating conspiracy theories. "Nothing. Let's go."

~~~

A/N

Um, Visena, maybe it's exactly the right time to be creating conspiracy theories! Hello? What's going on with Ambrose?

This ought to be interesting...