Chapter 86 - Dark Passenger

***
I knew this situation would eventually come. Whether sooner or later didn't matter. But now the question was how to deal with something like this?

There were many ways. If I tried to, I might even be able to change the conversation into something else and make the situation seem less important than it seems.

But no, it was time I dealt with this situation in a manner befitting its importance. Dodging the situation for too long could be bad. "Well, I am still your brother if you're wondering about that."

Since this was something I had expected to happen for quite a while now, I wasn't going to stutter or say something stupid.

Right now, I need to be more forthcoming. Just as she was about to speak, I interrupted her. "Do you know how many times we have come close to death? Back when you were sick, the time Zhao attacked us, both in the temple and his armada of ships trying to shoot us down."

"That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. It feels like I don't even know you anymore, as if you're a whole different person."

I let her talk, and didn't interrupt her. This way she could get out whatever she had to say. 

"But it does matter. We have been in dangerous situations multiple times." I clarified, maybe due to her age she might have forgotten certain things, so I will remind her. "You could have died, and so could I. That's why the change was inevitable, being a foolish sarcastic brother is okay during certain times. But this is no longer a situation where I can act foolish, and go penguin riding with you."

"You never went penguin riding with me."

"Well, it's a childish game, why would I?" Welp, better think my words carefully before saying them. Having Sokka's memories at this point would have helped massively. "But still, this is a death battle. What we are doing here isn't a stroll in the park. If I hadn't changed and adapted, we would be dead by now. Well, at least I and you would be, Aang has his whole Avatar State thing going for him."

She looked down at the green grass. I could see the gears turning in her head as many thoughts  passed through her mind.

Aang, Katara, and the original Sokka would have survived if I didn't exist or change either. But she didn't know that, and with how the situation has turned out.

It's logical for her to assume that Aang's journey would have been cut very short if I hadn't been there. Katara doesn't know what I do.

"My plans are many, little sister," I turned around and started walking away. "Remember, people always change."

Just like that, I walked off and looked at my new level-ups in skills.

[Waterbending Lvl 18 -> 24]

This one was quite good. Due to the Ocean and Moon's spirit energy being imbued into me for a while, I got quite some benefits from it.  Even a special title, which was essentially useless, but good when training waterbending.

[Blessed by the Moon and Ocean Spirits]

It also lets me heal faster when in water. I don't think they meant to do anything like a blessing, but their energy did technically empower me.

So they somewhat did lend me their power. The original plan was to trap them inside my body, not only would they have been safe in there, but I would have gotten Avatar-level waterbending.

That plan is no more, due to the way things are playing out now. You can't predict people's reactions, especially the Moon and Ocean Spirits, as I knew next to nothing about them.