3.5

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

<3.5>
love is love

        REMUS LUPIN WAS SITTING IN his small home, listening to his mother talk about her week. And Hope Lupin, who was growing sicker by the day, sat in the chair in front of him, holding his hands softly in her own.

        Though he would never admit it, Remus knew his mom was starting to look worse. Her pale skin, drooped eyes, and shaking hands did not go unnoticed by the boy. And as he knew her time was slowly coming to end, he made sure to spend every moment he could with her — knowing how much she was hurting from the inside.

She never admitted she was sick.

But he knew.

      Hope's voice continued to waver with each of her words, and most of the time, she wouldn't even finish her sentences — not remembering how they finished. Remus didn't mind, however. And he knew better to not mention it, knowing how apologetic she would be right after.

He pretended he understood.

And when she would ask questions, even if they didn't make sense, Remus would answer them the best he could, even if they made him slightly uncomfortable.

"How's Sirius?"

"He's okay."

"Have you admitted your
feelings for him yet?"

Remus didn't answer that.

And Hope continued.

"I... mean," She rephrased, "Have you admitted to yourself, that you have feelings for him?"

He glanced at her.

"How did you— what do you mean?"

Hope hid her smile.

"By the way you look at him."

"I look at all my friends that way."

And at his words, she only laughed, hearing as the tea pot began to whistle. Though, before she could get up, Remus was already there, making her a cup.

"You don't have to lie to me."

"I'm not."

"Stop lying to yourself, then."

Again, he went quiet.

And instead, he focused on the tea, pouring two glasses before bringing it to the dining table, right where she was sitting.

She watched his every move.

He was slightly fidgety.

"Before... I go," She started, almost being stopped by Remus as the words left her lips, "I want you to be happy." Hope continued, "I want to see you loved—"