Chapter 10: Survival

When his eyelids opened, what greeted him wasn't the darkness of the cave, but the light shining through a nearby window. Alvaro had a headache from the moment he gained consciousness. He stared at the window for a while for no particular reason..

I survived...

Then...why?

Why do I feel so empty?

Alvaro laid back down, now staring at the ceiling. He sighed, waiting for someone to enter the room as he continued to look at the ceiling. He didn't even bother to check his surroundings.

Alvaro couldn't tell how long he laid on the bed, perhaps he should do something else. After a few minutes, someone entered the room. At this, Alvaro sat upright. However, he clutched his abdomen as a sting of pain was felt.

"You shouldn't move so soon, you were lucky blue was near the area."

"Blue...? Is that a title or their actual name?" Alvaro spoke between breaths.

"?" The person in front of him gave him a confused gaze.

"Uh, I'm not from here," Alvaro scratched his head awkwardly.

"Hmm. Is that why?" The man muttered.

"Did you say something?" Alvaro couldn't hear him quite clearly.

"Nothing, I wanted for you to come with us, but it looks like you're still not fully healed."

"It's fine, this is the least I can do for you saving me," Alvaro smiled, before gritting his pain when he stood up.

He stumbled a bit. Although he was getting used to it, he still held his arm over his abdominal area and hunched.

"Where are we going?" A confused Alvaro wondered out loud.

"Nowhere in particular. We just want to ask you some questions regarding the Witch Cult."

"Is that so?" Alvaro inquired, slightly confused.

Both of them made their way towards a room that had an interrogation-like feel to it. The man pointed at a chair, Alvaro complied as he sat down.

"Wait there a bit," said the man as he left.

Is he really going to let me be here alone? Never mind, I doubt he would do that. Anyways, this place is a bit similar to when I got caught by the police.

Well, they couldn't exactly do anything to me as the drug cartel I was part of had ties with the government.

...

Aside from that, where is Petelgeuse and the others? They suddenly vanished, leaving me alone to fend off against the people who killed me.

That's right...

I died, but somehow came back to life. I don't really want to think about it right now. I still can't believe that all this fantasy thing did happen, maybe it's just a bad dream and I'll wake up anytime soon? Like that's ever going to happen.

Now that I think about it, my life has been going downhill ever since I came into this world. No, maybe it was already going downhill and I never noticed.

Though I will say, he sure is taking his sweet time.

Alvaro waited patiently in what seemed like hours when in reality it was only a couple of minutes. Soon the man came back with a red-haired young man with sky blue eyes.

"May I ask you your name?" That was the first thing that the man said as he sat across from Alvaro.

"It's Alvaro Juarez-Montero. If you haven't heard a name like mine it's probably because I'm from a place in the west that you most likely never heard of."