Romeo and Orpheus

t.w. mentions of suicidal thoughts and actions

Through the darkness of New Year's Day, 1979, a voice pulled Rose out of a deep, dreamless sleep.

"Thorns."

The nickname was whispered with care.

"Thorns." The voice called again, and this time Rose answered with a sleepy groan, opening her eyes.

"Sirius?" The red-haired girl asked.

"Yeah, Thorns. It's me." Sirius responded quietly, he was standing a few feet from her bedside.

"What are you doing here, Pads?" She questioned, searching the room with her eyes for his younger sibling.

"There's no use looking for Reggie, Thorns." He began, before rubbing his face, sighing into his hand.

"What do you mean?"

"Reggie's gone, Rose." He said, he'd said it like he didn't want to.

Rose stopped looking around the room, instead starring ahead at Sirius.

"What?"

"Reggie's gone. Like— really gone." He'd just barely said, his voice wavering as he twisted a ring around on his thumb.

Gone.

When Rose realised what that really meant it felt as if the dungeons themselves were crumbling in on her. One stone pilling atop another until her breath was crushed beneath their weight.

Sirius spoke again, extending his arm to bring an an opened envelope into view.

"I've not read it all, just the greeting at the top. I'm surely not ma femme, so I think this was meant for you, not me." He said as Rose's eyes landed on the parchment.

"Ma femme?" She asked peering up at him as Sirius took a few steps closer.

"It means, wife, basically. My wife." He explained.

"I see...." She said, finally moving to the edge of the bed to take hold of the letter.

She pulled the parchment out, gently unfolding it.

Ma femme,

It began.

My wife,

If you have received this from my brother and not from my own hands it means I was unable to give it to you, and shall remain unable, permanently. I shall never hold you again, but I hope to see you once more, in whatever afterlife there may be.

The paper held small dots where the texture had changed, dried.

I wanted to ask you to run away, but you would never have been safe by my side. I will not be safe come morning. I'm sorry. I only wish I had loved you sooner, all my happiest memories belong to you.

If I do not return to you for a final farewell, I am dead, but I died insuring the Dark Lord will never have the eternal life he seeks.

Please forgive me, Rose.

Adieu Ma Chérie, Je T'aimerai Pour Toujours.

Yours,
Regulus Black

The final lines were done with a heavy, and unsteady hand. Rose could make out that the French at the bottom mentioned love, darling, and goodbye.

She sat the letter down on the bed below, and Sirius spoke.

"I've not seen Kreacher since I was a boy, and when I do, he brings me news that my little brother is dead." He said as his jaw tightened as he forced away the frown forming on his face.