Chapter 78: Clouded Minds

June 2, 2024

Three days later, things were still the same. These small moments would happen where Katya chose or asked something that wasn't coincidental, like with the necklace and the movie, but no memory would actually pop into her head. They were all faint tickles in the back of her head, gone before she could grasp them. A hunch, a gut feeling more than a conscious memory.

She decided to go along to Maya's soccer match on Monday evening - a weird day for a match, but oh well - dragging her bruised body over the grass to stand by the railing next to the field. People stared when she passed, set off by her purple and blue cheek and her hopping. Natasha had to support her by her good arm so she wouldn't fall over, completely disagreeing with her presence here but silenced after losing their argument previously.

But it felt too good to be outside to care. Three days of bedrest were hell, and the first thing Katya had done when allowed out of bed, was sit by the lake, on the dock. An action that had Natasha tear up. She did that a lot, but kept her distance, both emotionally and physically. After that late night hug on Saturday, there hadn't been more, and she'd only distanced herself more.

They never said more than they had to. And on the rare occasion that conversations were necessary to discuss important things, Natasha's voice was almost cold. Never truly rude, just monotone. The sweet and caring wife was still in there, shooting to her aid at all times and doing everything possible to have her comfortable. It was just hidden behind those masks most of the time.

Her behavior was understandable, though sad.

Natasha's brows furrowed when Katya chose a spot to stand and watch, gripping the railing with her one hand. The other hung in a sling, which they'd also had an argument about previously. The brunette hated the thing with her whole heart, feeling like an invalid, but Natasha refused to let her come along without wearing it. ''Why'd you stop here?''

''She's in offense, and her team has that side of the field the first half.'' Katya nodded to the half of the field furthest away, where the eleven girls from Maya's team were claiming their positions. ''So if we stand here, we can see most of her.'' It was clear logic, but when she replayed her own words, she tensed up, slowly turning to her wife. ''Nobody told me she plays offense, have you?''

Pressing her lips together, Natasha shook her head slowly, clearly getting emotional again. ''We always stand here,'' she muttered, staring at the familiar advertisement sign by their legs. A local barber shop. ''Let me get you a chair from the canteen.'' And off she went. Running away, again.

Though she did return with a cheap plastic chair, as promised, planting it on the grass and helping Katya lower herself into it, a relieved exhale leaving the brunette's lips. ''Thanks. If she scores, you have to applaud for me.''

''I will.''

Katya had fallen in love with her red-haired daughter over the course of three days. Maya was a lot better at dealing with the whole situation than Natasha. Of course, she had sad moments too when she spoke about something Katya didn't remember. But overall, she treated her like nothing was wrong, chatting the ears off her head. Kids adapted easily. Especially one who's had to adapt her whole life.

Almost the entire weekend, she spent with Katya in that bed, drawing, watching TV, playing card games. Their laughter could be heard throughout the house, usually followed by a groan from Katya when her ribs hurt. The sound caused one older redhead to curse herself for her cowardice while she hid in the kitchen and sorted everything insurance and police-wise, wishing she could get past the hurt and laugh along with them.

But she convinced herself that she was too busy with the purchase of a new family car. The McLaren was nice, but it could only fit two people and was not very handy nor economical, especially since Maya needed to be driven everywhere. So, she had bought the same Audi SUV as before, which was delivered to their home that same weekend, paid for by insurance.