Steven Grant x Reader - Preference

Written by the amazing holywaterjesuschrist
Go give her a follow, she's got some amazing fics

Relationships are often difficult, no matter how much love or trust is involved. At some point a fight or an argument is bound to happen. But dating two people, each one with their own preferences, passions and personalities could be hard to keep up with.

Nonetheless, you managed -for more than six months- to be in a stable relationship with both Steven and Marc. You had some sort of a schedule which could allow both of them to spend time with you equally, and you were not going to complain when you got twice the attention and affection someone would get in a normal relationship.

But sometimes, there was a slight nonequilibrium between the two, or so they would say, it was probably just a way of indirectly asking for more affection you would gladly give them. Oftentimes it would be Steven that felt jealous of Marc, or better said the way Marc's social skills saved him from a lot of embarrassing situations Steven would get himself into when he was with you.

Steven's awkwardness didn't phase you, most of the time you were the one taking the first step in showing affection, he was used to just going with it, whereas Marc's intimidating behaviour pushed him to take control most of the time.

On this particular night Steven seemed buried in his thoughts, more than usual. When something was on his mind it became awfully clear, he would pace next to Gus' tank spilling all of his thoughts to the oblivious fish on the other side of the glass or when you were there he would keep it inside until at some point you asked for it.

You decided to stay inside, enjoy the peacefulness of the city from the inside while Steven flipped through the newest book he got from the museum. This one too about Egyptian culture since he insisted his knowledge in the field was limited. He was resting comfortably between your legs with his back on your chest and his head on your shoulder while you played with the curly strands of his hair that fell on his forehead. Easily one of your favourite and most relaxing activities there was.

He would usually point out any fact he found interesting or worth mentioning, not hesitating to explain the backgrounds of a ritual if you asked. You've told him numerous times that you liked hearing him speak about whatever he was passionate about, the way he would get excited about even the smallest of things really warmed your heart, spreading a wide smile on your lips the whole time he spoke.

"Hey," You brushed his hair out of his face as an attempt to gain his attention. His head craned to the side to look at you.

"Yeah?" He asked softly, his throat dry due to the lack of speaking in the last hours. The moment he saw the concerned look on your face he placed his book down, fully turning towards you, his attention focused on you solely. "Did something happen?"

"Yes. Well, no, not to me. Are you alright?" Steven was slightly taken aback by your question since he didn't think he did anything out of the ordinary.

"I'm alright." He was not sure if he even convinced himself with the way his voice cracked at the end. "Have I done something wrong?" He was becoming more concerned by the minute, he hated seeing you upset. He even scolded Marc every time he had a fight with you.

"No, no!" You rushed to reassure him, "You're strangely quiet tonight. And I always know when something's on your mind."

At the hearing of your words he knew he had no other choice than to come clean about what has been bothering him for quite a while. Up until now he made an incredible job concealing it but this was bound to happen at some point.

"It's foolish, it doesn't matter." He wavered a hand dismissively between you.

"Steven." You urged, tone slightly more serious to emphasis your desire to know what's bothering him.

"It's about you and Marc. I feel like you prefer him over me." With a sigh, you lowered yourself on the bed, opening your arms for him to reclaim his rightful spot on your chest. He did without hesitation, his head burrowing against the crook of your neck, his arm clutching at the fabric of your -his- sweater.

"You know I love you both, equally." Hugging him closer you kissed the crown of his head, knowing that your words won't be enough to wash away his worries. "You are one of the nicest guys that I've met, and don't forget that you are the one that caught my attention at the museum, the one that I've gone on dates with, the one that almost had a breakdown when trying to make up the courage to kiss me." He chuckled at the last part, recalling that night in front of your apartment. "I hope Marc's not the one jealous now." You spoke, knowing he'll hear you.

"He said it's fine." Steven mumbled into your neck, his nose pressing further against your pulse point. By the way his voice was getting more muffled and his breathing slower, you had the suspicion he was beginning to fall asleep. "He also says that I'm a baby." Steven said, slightly surprised that the words actually left his mouth.

"You are and I love you for it." Turning on your side to face him, you settled your thigh over his hip to keep him close. Steven's head tipped back, a lazy smile playing on his lips while watching you through half closed eyelids. You grabbed his chin, pressing a sweet kiss to his lips before smoothening a hand over his cheek.

"Shut up." He whispered to himself. You mainly ignored when that happened, but now you just had to ask since you were pretty curious about what else Marc had to say.

"What did he say?" Steven puffed out a breath which tickled your chest before clarifying the situation.

"He said to stop smothering me with love." You both laughed, the grip on each other tightening.

"Look who's jealous now." You liked to mess with Marc, especially when you knew how he is when he's mad. Your lips started off on his forehead, pressing kisses down to the bridge of his nose all the way to the little bump at the tip. Steven scrunched his nose, as the place was particularly ticklish to kisses. You continued to his temple and down to his cheek going towards the corner of his mouth. You avoided his small attempt to catch your lips with his by turning your head to the side, instead going down to his jaw and just under it staying a bit on that sensitive spot that inevitably made him shiver.

His fingers dug into the material of his shirt that you were wearing when your tongue lightly dragged over the spot, descending a bit more on the column of his neck before returning your position, now face to face with him. Steven pouted, trying to give you his irresistible puppy eyes. You would have loved to stay there, focusing on his neck, but that risked riling him up, something which you did not have time for tonight.

He had been missing precious hours of sleep because of the extra hours Donna had asked him to stay, and he couldn't exactly say no since he was pretty sure he was going to get fired. So every little nap or every bonus hour was good for his health. He remembered back in the day when he wasn't aware of Marc's existence and his chaotic sleeping schedule, one thing was for sure, he never wanted to go back to that time.

"Good night." You pressed your cheek on the top of his head as you got more comfortable.

"G'night." Came the sleepy response before everything was silent again, but this time you knew there was nothing bothering him anymore.