𝟮𝟱. 𝗘𝘀𝗰𝗮𝗽𝗲

Back to Hara

I open my eyes. I can't breathe. Why can't I breathe. Why is it so dark. Am I dead? No wait that's impossible.

"Sir, she's awake"

"Thank you"

I cough a bit. My vision is blurry. I can smell blood. Is it my blood? Or someone else's. Did I kill someone?

"Kang Hara"

I can feel cold hands being pressed against my arm. It makes me jump back to reality. I quickly push them off. An old man looks at me. I recognise him. The commander. My brother, or whoever he is now, told me many things about him. How he always made deals with soldiers. Illegal deals. 

"Where are my friends. What did you do to them"

"They're probably in a better place now" The commander sits down on a chair in front of me. "I mean why live in a world with no freedom?"

"Aren't you describing the way life has always been"

He laughs loudly. "Funny. Just like your brother"

A tear goes down my cheek. I have to look sad. I have to look like I have emotions and don't want to slit his throat right here.

"Look, after we're done with some tests, we'll let go you"

'He lies'

"The least you can do is tell me the truth. You're planning on killing me anyways"

"You're smart"

"Wasn't that hard to guess"

The commander gets up. "You'll have to cooperate with us"

"And what if I don't?"

The man nods a bit and walks over to the made out of dark glass wall besides us. He knocks on it three times. Suddenly, the dark glass disappears. It became clear. My eyes scan the room until I notice someone familiar. I gasp a bit.

"Dad?"

"If you don't help us, we'll just give him a slow death" The commander points at him. "Every time you refuse, we chop of his fi-"

"Stop. Stop talking!"

"I guess you got the point" He knocks on the glass again. 

"Dad! Dad!!!"

"Think about it"

The commander walks out of the room and locks the door again. I start to cry, trying to free myself out of the chair. 

'Try'

"Try what?"

'Harder'

"I'm trying"

I twist around while kicking my legs in the air like a toddler. Suddenly, I hear something snap. My left arm. It's loose. I guess they don't know about my strength.

"Dad.." 

I free my other hand and legs and make my way to the glass. I knock three times in the same rhythm as the commander. 

"Dad!"

The glass disappears. My dad is sitting on the ground. His eyes are closed and he's still wearing his prison uniform.

"Can you hear me?"

His mouth is taped and his hands are tied. I start knocking on the glass, but he isn't responding. He isn't dead as I can hear his heart beat.