20. Town of Selena

(Author's Note:  Dedicated to all those wonderful people who have kept pace with my story, without having their own entries in the ONC)

The white walls of Selena were even more impressive close up. At least a meter thick, and eight meters high, they were topped with a wall walk. Ben could see the heads of people hurrying along about their business, oblivious to what was happening below. Heavy wooden doors stood open on either side of an impressive gateway and Ben found himself craning his neck upward as Lucian drove the coach through, wondering if he would see the spikes of a portcullis above his head.

They entered a large square, lined with stalls selling fresh produce. People, dressed in loose fitting trousers, some with smocks on top and others wearing shirts, milled around. The colours were mostly muted, fawns and beige, with the occasional dusty plum or faded gold.

Ben would have quite liked to stop and browse but Lucian kept them moving, guiding the horse toward the further of the three cobbled streets which led out of the square into the rest of the town. The Tower of Vierrac overshadowed everything.

Once they left the square, the road soon turned into a maze of narrow lanes and alleys. There were no long boulevards, nor even a thoroughfare that was straight for more than a few meters. With no evidence of any planning, the town had evolved into a jumble of houses, shops and taverns. After a few twists and turns, Ben could no longer see the Tower and was completely lost. Luckily, Lucian knew where he was going.

"I'm looking forward to meeting the Guild Master," Ben said, after a long silence. "Though I really need to return home as soon as possible. Time is racing all too fast."

"I know. I wish thou could stay longer," said Lucian, biting his lip. "I've enjoyed getting to know thee over these last few days, Ben Lucas. And I'd love to show thee the wonders of Vierrac... But I know that's not possible."

For one crazy moment, Ben toyed with the idea of staying in Rhillion. Perhaps he could start a horse farm of his own, become an expert glass walker, and get to know Lucian even better... but that was just a fantasy. Real life beckoned.

"I wish I could stay a bit longer too, Lucian." Ben cleared his throat, then added brightly, "Just think, Luke is not going to believe it when I tell him what has happened."

Lucian looked away, suddenly concentrating on the reins. "No, I suppose he won't."

They turned into another narrow lane, only to be confronted by a large hand cart blocking the way. Evidently, there had been an accident of some sort. The cart was lopsided, one side resting on the ground. They could see one of its wheels had come off and was lying on the cobblestones and a load of orange pumpkins now dotted the street. Two men were bent over the cart, trying to lift it, while a third hovered nearby, getting ready to try and re-attach the wheel.

"I'll give them a hand," offered Ben, climbing down from the seat.

"All right. I'd better stay with the coach," said Lucian as their horse tossed his head and stamped his feet, irked by the obstacle.

"Need some help?" Ben asked the three men, as he approached.

"Thank thee. Could thou hold the wheel?" The man nearest to Ben replied, while one of the others said, "Is that the one?" in a low voice.

"Well it must be, since it's the only one here," Ben answered as he tried to lift the wheel, feeling confused by the question.

The next moment he felt a stunning blow to the back of his head. He fell to the ground, dazed. Before he knew what was happening, he was grabbed and lifted between two of the men. He was only vaguely away of Lucian shouting in the background and then he was being dragged along the street at a run, the cart and its load left behind.

Once around the first corner, his captors half carried, half dragged him through an open doorway into a building. Then they slung each of his arms over a shoulder and dragged him up a wooden staircase. The aroma of stale beer filled Ben's nostrils. Was he in a bar? A tavern? He felt dizzy and unable to focus, fighting down nausea; if only he could be still for a moment.

The men pulled him into a room at the top of the stairs and slammed the door. Then they pushed him onto a chair and stood back to study him.

"Are thou certain this is the right one?" asked the smallest of his assailants.

"Yes, of course!" growled the oldest. "He has dark brown hair, doesn't he? And he's young. The other one was older, more solidly built." He stared at Ben. "And look at these clothes. They weren't made on Rhillion, I can tell thee."

"Right then, let's get it over with, no point hanging around."

One of the men crossed over to the mantelpiece and picked up an object. When he turned round, Ben saw that he held a syringe in his hand. Ben felt a surge of adrenaline rush through his body. Hemal! His eyes darted around the room, seeking a way out.

"Just something to put you to sleep until the solstice has passed," said the assailant in a soothing voice.

Was it though? thought Ben. Or was it going to be something far more deadly? To his inexperienced eyes, the syringe seemed very full. In any case, he didn't want any of it in his body.

He looked toward the window, but it was narrow and shuttered. The door was blocked by one of his assailants. The only furniture in the room was the rickety chair he was sitting on and a narrow bed which appeared to be bolted to the floor. And then he saw the fly-specked mirror which was attached to the wall above the mantelpiece. Was it big enough? It certainly wasn't full length but it was wide.

Ben had only taken a few seconds to make his assessment but one of the men had already grabbed his arm, bracing it ready for the needle.

"Ohh, I'm going to be sick," groaned Ben, dropping forward and retching realistically.

His assailants jumped back out of range and Ben sprang to his feet. In one smooth motion he bounded toward the mirror and leapt headfirst. The sound of breaking glass followed him as he rolled and stood. Heart pounding, he opened his eyes and saw the stars Lucian had described to him. Pin points of light stretched out in all directions as far as he could see. For a moment he was transfixed in wonder, then he gathered himself together and began to search, seeking the path he had left from Earth when he arrived in Rhillion a week ago.

There, faint but visible. The light representing the mirror in Wentworth Manor seemed a long way away. Ben concentrated, feeling his way along the ether as Lucian had instructed, and the next moment he was looking out into a familiar attic.