OKay... It Happened!

The next day started out like it normally did. I got up, had breakfast, and spent the next two hours working out, followed by a run on the beach, a swim in which I had to play an unexpected game of avoidance with Goliath, (I am sure he knew it was me who hit him out of the water) and a couple hours continuing to hone my skills with the new abilities I now had.

After all of that, I decided to take a trip into town. I felt a need for some new reading material, a nice meal at one of the local restaurants, and coffee at one of the beachside cafes. There was also the local children's hospital fundraiser I wanted to go to and make a donation. I had to admit, though I did not live extravagantly, having the money I had and the freedom it gave, sure was nice!

So, I took the SUV out and drove into town.

A visit to a specialty book story I knew, and I came away with the original 1937 version of The Hobbit, the one where Bilbo and Gollum part on friendly terms, weird but true, and an original translation of Julius Caesar's, "Gallis Wars," something I had wanted for a long time now. I locked both in my car and made my way to my favourite steak place. One medium-rare steak and a baked potato fully loaded, with a side of garden vegetables, and I was a happy man. Through all of this, Becky did what he was originally meant to; he just sat back and observed.

After my meal, I made my way to the children's hospital. They had set up a carnival in the parking lot, and I happily paid my entrance fee and joined in the festivities. I rode a carousel, a ride or two, and watched a few of the street performers show off their skills and talents to entertain the crowds. Then, passing by the donation booth, I quietly made a large donation before making my way toward the exit with a grin. How much did I give? Let's just say it was enough to cover what they needed and then some.

I had walked to the carnival, enjoying the late afternoon sky and the breeze coming off the ocean, and was making my way toward my SUV by a different route, when I saw the police lights a few streets ahead of me. Curious, I made my way over there, along with a few other people who, like me, were drawn towards the lights by that innate want to know more.

In hindsight, I really wish I had ignored it all.

It was a bank robbery turned hostage situation.

I saw at least a dozen police cars forming a semi-circle around the entrance, with officers moving about while they watched the front of the local bank. I could see movement inside, could discern a few figures, but could not see much else. 

*Focus. Use your eyesight the way you know you can.* 

Oh, right, I forgot! 

I'm pretty sure I heard a sound like a mumbled, *Idiot* in my head.

So, focus I did. I concentrated and, just like with the shark attack, I was suddenly looking through the bank windows as if I were in the room. What I saw was not good.

I counted six men with balaclava masks on to hide their faces. They were all of a type; lean and tough-looking in dark clothing as they walked around the main room, with eight people cowering on the floor in a frightened huddle. The men were all armed; three with automatic rifles of some kind, while the others had what looked like maybe, Uzis I think they were called. Either way, it was clear that they could kill the people inside very quickly. 

*This standoff is very interesting.*

Okay, time to have a conversation in my head.

"How so?" I asked my companion by thinking the question.

*The men inside clearly intend to harm the people inside, regardless of what the police do. But the police seem to believe that they can avoid this by negotiation. The men inside know this and are simply making the officers perform as they wish.*

"How do you know they intend to kill the people inside?"

*I can register their blood pressure. It is calm and steady, suggesting they are doing exactly what they want to do. As well, the audio I am able to listen to suggests at least one of the hostages has identified a member of the offenders openly, so the rest of the group knows his identity as well.*

Oh man, that was not good, not good at all!

I had to warn the police, so they knew!

*How will you do that? What will you say? "Excuse me officer, but I have super hearing and super eyesight and I have been able to determine the men inside intend to kill everyone in there before they leave." I think you can imagine how much they will believe you.*

I mentally snarled at him. 

*If you cannot accept what is about to happen, I suggest we leave. Those inside do not intend to wait much longer.*

I looked towards the police, and saw a man who I assumed was the negotiator speaking to one of the officers with a very serious look on his face.

Yeah, things were about to get nasty.

But.....

*No. Absolutely not. Jonathan, I know what you are thinking....*

"I thought you said you value life in all forms."

*I do! But to do this, to act as you are thinking, will almost certainly draw the attention of the very people we are trying to hide from.*

"Becky, they are going to kill those people!"

*And if you, if we, do this, we risk exposure that could be irreparable!*

I move away from the crowd, Becky's warnings sounding in my brain. 

I knew he was right; doing what I wanted to do meant an unavoidable public display. There was no way I could act and have no one notice.

But those people would die!

*Jonathan, are you willing to risk exposing us in order to save those people?*

"You know I am."

*This may result in....*

"Becky, can you tell me you hold all life as valuable, if you are going to let these people die?!"

It is a very stranger sensation to hear a sigh in your head, and know it is not you.

*There will be no going back from this, Jonathan.*

"Maybe not."

*Do it.*

I quickly moved to a spot where I hoped there were no cameras and I was pretty well hidden from view.

"Reveal."

The gauntlets appeared on my wrists, seeming to shimmer more than ever before.

I took a deep breath.

*There is no going back from this.*

"Activate."