Ravager Funeral

--- October 20th, 2014 - The Quadrant ---

Yondu's body lies on a plank.

Various colored cloths are laid in strips over his body and face, Yaro lilies beneath him, red-fired pyres and Yondu's toys all around. 

Rocket, Groot, Drax, Gamora, Y/N, Mantis, and Kraglin surround the table. 

Peter is at the head. 

He has to say a few words, But it is not easy, "The other day I told Gamora how I used to pretend my dad was David Hasselhoff.."

Rocket and Drax questioning exchange a look.

Y/N explains, "He's a singer and actor from Earth. Very famous guy."

Drax nods.

"And, you know, earlier it struck me," Peter continues, "Yondu didn't have a talking car, but he did have a flying arrow. And he didn't have the voice of an angel, but he did have the whistle of one. And both David Hasselhoff and Yondu went on kickass adventures, and hooked up with hot women, and fought robots. So, the thing is, David Hasselhoff kinda did end up being my Dad after all, only he was Yondu. I had a pretty cool Dad..."

Peter starts to break down as he continues, "And what I'm trying to say here is, that thing you're searching for your whole life, sometimes it's right there by your side all along and you don't even know it."

Gamora sees Nebula, watching from a darkened doorway, before she turns and walks away. 

She moves after her. 

Groot looks up at an upset Rocket, "...I am Groot.."

Rocket smiles sadly, "He did call you 'twig.'"

_____

Gamora catches up to Nebula in the hall. 

"Nebula."

Nebula turns toward her, but she doesn't look her in the eye.

Gamora continued speaking, "..I was a child like you. I was concerned with staying alive until the next day, every day. And I never considered what Thanos was doing to you. I'm trying to make it right, everything I did. There are little girls like you were, across the universe, who are in danger... You can stay with us, and help them."

"..I'll help them by killing Thanos," Nebula says.

"I don't know if that's possible."

Nebula turns to leave. 

But Gamora grabs her, perhaps too roughly. Nebula turns, ready to snap. 

But Gamora hugs her. 

Nebula does not know how to react.

"You will always be my sister," Gamora tells her.

Tears well in Nebula's eyes and, for just a moment, she stays there letting it happen...

Before pushing her away and leaving.

_____

The Guardians lift Yondu on the plank. 

A bulbous and rusty crematory is at the center of the room. It doesn't burn with fire, but a swirling, vibrant cosmic energy. 

They slide Yondu in as they watch with sadness and respect as his body is enveloped by the sparkling colors. Peter closes the door on the crematory. 

As he moves away, Kraglin approaches, "Pete."

Peter turns toward him. 

He was holding something.