21. Glass Walker

(Author's Note: Whoo Hoo! I made the final milestone 20K! Apologies for the rapid (if delayed) output of these last few chapters, but I really needed to concentrate on the story without too many distractions)

With infinite care, Ben stepped out of the mirror, picturing himself moving in slow motion and to his immense satisfaction, for the first time he had tried glass walking, the mirror did not shatter. He paused for a moment to get his bearings. Everything had happened so fast in those last few minutes on Rhillion, he hadn't even had a chance to say farewell to Lucian.

It felt strange to be home, the very air smelt different from how he'd remembered. He wondered what day it was, whether Luke would be here at home or out and about somewhere. Well, he wasn't going to find out by standing here.

With a mix of nerves and anticipation, Ben made his way quickly out of the attic and down the stairs.

There were voices coming from the kitchen. Suddenly hesitant, Ben hovered in the doorway. He saw Luke sitting on one side of the table reading a newspaper with the headline, War Worsens in Ukraine. Sitting opposite and reading another part of the paper, Covid Death Toll Tops 6 Million, was their mutual friend, Oliver.

"Luke?"

Luke jumped and spun around. His face went white. "What the fuck? Ben?"

"Yep. I'm back."

"It's been six months, Ben. Where the fuck have you been? We had the police here and everything!"

Ben found himself at a loss for words. He had expected Luke to feel surprised and astonished by his return, but he hadn't expected him to be angry. He supposed he should have.

And he certainly hadn't expected to see Oliver sitting at the breakfast table.

Their separation had only been a week for Ben, it was hard to remember that it had been six months for Luke.

"So... you and Oliver?"

"It's been six months, Ben. Six months without a single word. Why the hell did you leave it so long if you could come back? To be honest, I thought you must be dead."

Explanations about time wheels and other worlds, the mysteries of Rhillion and the amazement of finding Lucian alive, jostled inside Ben's head, but he was silent. He didn't think Luke would believe him. If he put it into words, it would all sound too much like a fairy story or a drug induced hallucination.

He looked at Luke's hard, angry face, waiting impatiently for an explanation, and his heart sank.

Then he looked at the kitchen clock. How long had he been here? 

Not even an hour... and he was already wondering why he'd come.

.