Chapter 1: Yoshimori [Y/N]

Artist: zoo/@mdrkwgk on Twitter
————————————————————

"A Semi-Grade 1 curse, eh?"

"Yes. Unfortunately, the building won't be closing until 5pm today. You'll just need to scout the area for any other curses. Minimize interaction with civilians."

He cracked his neck and glanced at his watch. 6 hours before Takada-chan's live idol interview on TV...

"I just hope it won't be boring."

————————————————————

You sped through the wide, chilly corridors to stay together with your classmates, squeezing through crowds of tourists. If your school halls were a dusty warehouse, this must've been heaven. Every inch of this entire building was well-kept to the highest degree.

"Why'd we go somewhere this lame for our graduation trip?" Your friend, Higuchi, pinched his forehead.

"This isn’t just some museum, you know." another classmate, Kaname, cut in. "This is the Kyoto National Museum! Not a lot of middle schoolers get to go here at all."

“High schoolers.” He corrected.

“Right.”

You shuffled around, going further ahead to see the artifacts laid out in front of you. "There’s a bunch of spirits here, too… I can’t catch a break with these things."

"You and those spirits... Ever consider getting your head checked?" Higuchi groaned.

“Shut up! You’re not the one who feels them scurrying around everywhere!” You protested, “there’s one on your shoulder right now! I can sense it!”

“Sense it, my ass!”

As you two continued to roast each other, Kaname walked up to a display of a rusted bell from the Yayoi period [3rd century Japan].

"Yoshimori-kun, why do you think spirits linger around places like school?"

"SHUT— eh?" You turned around, "I'm not sure, but they tend to show up around things people don't like."

"So… Higuchi-kun?"

"You little—"

While everyone was preoccupied with bickering back and forth, you felt a hand reach for your shoulder.

Before it could touch you, however, it was met with a jump in the opposite direction. The class rep looked at you with a familiar smile.

“You three should probably catch up with the tour guide, we’re moving on ahead soon.”

“Ri-right! Sorry about that, Kinuko-chan,” you scratched your hair, skipping ahead to match her pace.

“Not even a second thought about us…” Kaname sighed.

“What, you jealous? Let those lovebirds do what they want; I’m going somewhere else.”

————————————————————

He continued his search for the curses, strolling near every display case and noting the apparitions sprawled all across the museum.

“What a bunch of small fries…” He stomped on one, instantly vaporizing it. “Even Kyohaku [Kyoto National Museum] has this many curses in it, huh?”

He glanced at his watch again, unknowingly bumping into Higuchi. “Pardon me. Passing through.”

Higuchi was surprised at the sheer size of the man who brushed shoulders with him. He stood out like a weed among the crowd.