Chapter Ten

Azure

******

First stairwell, right turn.

I'd almost memorised my way around the palace. Almost. The first part was the easiest, where I was faced with nothing other than the grand staircase. Wide and magnificent, tiled with marble that seemed to glow even in the absence of light, it was a difficult landmark to forget. Many people traversed this one; it was the one staircase that lead to all the wings. 

I hung my right, cleaving myself away from the flow of foot traffic heading left. It was no wonder -- majority of the courts' population lived in the Western Wing. I made a mental note to explore them one day. No, not one day, soon. I'd been memorising my way around the entire palace, and though I'd done well, I hadn't memorised nearly enough. I didn't do it as a pastime or as a means of distraction. No, I did it in case we needed to flee. Kyra and Raina may have settled into this place, but I certainly hadn't. 

Second stairwell, left turn. 

This set of stairs were narrower, designed for a section where not many people traversed. In fact, I could only spot about three people in my surroundings, all nestled into small alcoves on the right wall. Their eyes were glued to the pages they poured over, old texts I couldn't begin to name. Wisely, none of them look my way. I hadn't been reserved with my glares and sneers -- I wouldn't give anyone the satisfaction of intimidating me, or my Sorors. If it came down to it, I would go knuckle-to-knuckle for them. For us. 

I flew up the stairs, the spiral setting my vision into a spin. 

Third level; first right turn, second left turn, third stairwell at end. 

The corridors passed in a blur. I didn't bother to take in the paintings on the walls, ones that looked so intricately done and vibrant. Some depicted night skies, whilst others held scenes of battle. Even so, they all had one common feature, one I knew would be there without be even having to look: the Northern Star.

Their god. 

It was still a foreign notion to me. Growing up in the Southern Court, where we worshiped no one but our Alpha, the notion of worshipping a higher power was alien. Even as a young girl, when I'd lived in one of the many outpost cities just as all young wolf and families had, the thought had never crossed my mind. Being on the outskirts of the territory, I'd heard the notions of gods whispered on the winds, but that was about it. 

I scowled, the final staircase coming into view. Did the humans worship gods? I would have to ask Kyra.

Her name struck a cord in my heart. Kyra. I hadn't allowed myself to think of what she'd revealed the other day, of the things Azriel had done to her. I'd felt sick listening to it, as though it were playing out right before me -- the torture she'd endured for weeks. And yet I hid from the facts like a coward. Even now, I suppressed those memories, those words I wished I could unhear. 

But what I couldn't forget was what Kyra said, 'I hated them for not seeing it.' It was as though someone had hit me in the head with a stone. My heart had sunk when she'd said those words, at the way she said them. The hatred, the resentment... I could hear it. I could feel it. Whether those feelings were really towards us, or Azriel, I couldn't tell. And part of me didn't want to know which. 

I didn't even realise I'd ascended the stairs until I stepped upon the final level, the corridor upon which our rooms resided. I tried to shut out my feelings of shame again as I continued forward. It was only a few moments later when a couple of voices wafted down the corridor, stealing me from thought. I straightened immediately. As far as I knew, Kyra, Raina and I were the only ones who lived here, and I didn't expect Raina to be on speaking terms with Kyra yet. Who could it be?