Chapter 27. Betrayal

Harry's POV

"LUNA!" I yelled, trying to locate her through the readying-for-battle students.

"Harry!" I heard her voice. Fighting through the crowd, I spotted her holding onto Ginny, Neville, Ron, and Hermione and they were casting protection enchantments over in the front gates. I joined them, and quickly, a shining barrier was cast over the Hogwarts Grounds.

"LOOK!" A shrill shriek was heard over the grounds. I whipped around, my wand in the air, and I realised that a Sixth-Year was pointing towards the gates. To my horror, a army of masked men was advancing in a cloud of black smoke, stopping near the protection barrier.

Everybody stood shocked and disoriented, shaken by the suddenly appearance. Suddenly, Luna raised her wand and screamed "STUPEFY!". Immediately, a masked man toppled over. Delighted by the mini victory, the defenders of Hogwarts began shooting spells at the Death Eaters, who shot spells back, but couldn't pass the invisible barrier.

Suddenly, a cloaked figure stepped up. Instinctively we all raised our wands.

With a swift movement, the figure slashed his wand and the barrier crumbled.

We stood, shocked. Even Voldemort needed a verbal spell to knock down the barrier, so this was one powerful Dark Wizard, and most probably their leader.

"I expected more respect then this." A high, cold voice emitted from the folds of the figure's cloak.

We didn't reply.

"I am Lord Vadàdécès, and these are The Risen."

A murmur flitted around.

"Hmm... I can see my servant, waiting oh so faithfully in your midst. You can reveal yourself now, Impius." Vadàdécès said.

We looked around searching for the so-called 'Impius', wondering who that could be.

Bang.

A deafening blast echoed brutally around the silent grounds, hundreds of heads turning as they tried to find the sound-maker.

Then what happened made my heart thump down somewhere near my feet.

Ginerva Weasley was heading towards Lord Vadàdécès, her black cloak billowing behind her.

"Ginny? I trusted you!" I bellowed, furious that she had betrayed me.

Ron seemed horrified too, and he rushed towards her, wand raised. There was a series of bangs and Ron fell back, choking and spluttering. Hermione rushed to help him up.

Luna just stood there limply, watching her best friend turn to the dark side, abandoning all her possessions: Her home, her family and her friends.

But that wasn't the only shock. Malfoy came blasting a hole through the people, joining Ginny and the others.

Neville covered his face in horror.

This was betrayal, and this aroused us all. We began shrieking and screaming words of fury towards them, bright lights flying across the grounds, wands slashing the air continuously. We fought our way through the fighting crowd to take refuge, when I heard a scream of "THEY'RE THERE! POTTER AND HIS FRIENDS!" and we started running across the grassy lawns.

I could feel Luna's sweaty hand grasped tightly through my hand but violent swipe from the Whomping Willow sent her flying. Dazed, I roared "ARRESTO MOMENTUM!"

It caught her just in time, and we began running again, now fully aware that there were several Risen people behind us, shooting spells at us.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" I yelled, shooting the first spell that came to mind.

The stag that erupted from the tip of the wand charged at the Risen, who backed up until the stag flickered and disappeared. We took the chance to dive in the castle, tearing through corridors and enchanting armours, causing them to block the path. We sprinted all the way to the Room of Requirement, shoved the door open, and we jumped in, collapsing in a gasping and panting pile.