8.

Kate and Sirius didn't speak after their row in the library. They still hung around eachother, Sirius keeping a protective eye on her whilst the Marauders continued to escort her to class and carrying her bags.

They had transfiguration with Professor McGonagall, all sat in twos at the rows of desks. James sat with Kate, Sirius right next to him so he could still talk to his best friend and Sirius could still keep an eye on things with Kate and his son.

The things Kate had said, dug into Sirius' heart like a thousand nails stabbing him. He replayed them over and over in his mind. He had decided that it hurt more than the cruciatus curse, not because of what was said but because of who said them.

Mary arrived fifteen minutes late, taking the only remaining seat- next to Sirius. She growled in annoyance, keeping her distance from him as much as physically possible.

Remus turned behind him to Sirius', "We can swap if you want? You can sit next to Pete."

Sirius shook his head, it would be too obvious if he sat in the front. He'd have to keep turning to ensure Kate was okay. She only had 9 weeks left, the baby could come at anytime and he had to be there when he did. He'd witnessed her growing more uncomfortable, more irritable and more emotional. He wanted to reach out and hug her, but all their progress had been erased from one single argument.

"In your pairs, I want you to transfigure this cup into another small object. Any object! NO ANIMALS." McGonagall instructs, pacing back and forth between the desks.

Mary stiffens in her seat, she didn't think she would have to actually talk to the guy who ripped her heart out. She side eyed him nervously, she had purposefully been avoiding him for weeks. Sirius cleared his throat, feeling the awkward tension between them.

"Umm what should we transfigure it into?" He asks, glancing at Mary who shrugged.

Sirius sighed, "I'm no good at this crap. At least you're decent at it."

Mary shrugs again, glancing at Lily and Marlene for help, she really didn't want to be here with Sirius Black of all people. She was stupid to go back after the first time. He'd been with more than half of the girls in their year, even Marlene had slept with him once after Quidditch. She knew of his reputation but she couldn't resist the Sirius Black charm.

"I'm not doing it."

"We'd just get detention if we don't." Sirius sighs.

Mary scoffs, "Yeah can't have you missing out on your precious Quidditch. It's about the only thing you love other than yourself."

Sirius face plants the desk and groans, James snickers from besides him. He'd had quite enough of girls now. Telling him what they thought he was and wasn't. Mary stiffened again besides him, and something came over Sirius. He glanced at her, properly for the first time in weeks and he saw it. The sadness in her eyes and the evidence of sleepless nights under them. She wore a cold exterior, acting as if she was unbothered but the eyes said different.

Sirius sighs facing her completely, "Mary, I genuinely am sorry for hurting you. I didn't know how you felt, I should've been more gentle with how I ended it. You're a great girl, but I'm in love with someone else and I have been for a long time."

"So,you used me to get over someone else?"

Sirius closes his eyes in shame, why did she have to word it like that?

"Yeah, I guess.."Sirius mutters, "I thought it was a mutual arrangement. I didn't think feelings were involved."

Mary shakes her head, "We never said we were dating, but I had hope that we would. We weren't just fucking in secret.. we kissed around other people.. we sat together.."