29.

Lily is nervous as she clutches her wand, she feels safer with James by her side though. James is furious that she was left to guard knockturn alley by herself. It was a well known hotspot for deatheaters and supporters of the Dark Lord. He keeps his wand by his side, watching over Lily protectively.

Lily suddenly grabs James arm in alarm, "That's him! That's the man from yesterday!

James looks in the direction Lily is pointing at and his eyes widen with familiarity.

"James!" The man yells jogging towards him, Lily holding her wand out ready to strike.

James pushes Lily's arm down gently, "He's a friend."

"James!" He says again as he reaches the couple, he rests his hands on his knees to catch his breath, "Remus! I saw him yesterday, been trying to find you, I didn't know this girl was one of your lot or I would've found you a lot sooner!"

"Where is he?" James asks urgently.

Rafe shakes his head, "I don't know but he's not in a good way. He's angry. Really, truly angry."

Lily and James exchange worried looks, the only other time Remus had been angry was when Sirius had betrayed him. Remus was not an angry person.

"He's trying to find Tate and Amelia." Rafe explains, "But..I took one look at him and I knew he shouldn't be out of St Mungo's."

"What do you mean?" Lily asks biting her nails anxiously.

Rafe closes his eyes, "His face..the fire..he.." Rafe can't finish his sentence, staring at the couple hopelessly.

"Come back to mine." James says, "We need to update everyone on Remus-"

"Is that a good idea?" Rafe interrupts, "I know Black doesn't trust me. I know you don't trust me."

"Does anyone trust anyone these days?" Lily asks, "Do you trust us?"

"No. I don't." Rafe admits in defeat, "Alright fine but I have a child to go home to..promise me, I'll go home to her."

"I promise." Lily says.

**********

Sirius throws Zion up in the air and catches him, the tot squealing and laughing excitedly. Kate watches them from the sofa, smiling to herself. This is everything she wanted. It's almost easy to block out the world outside, the ongoing war and the death toll. She feels safer with Sirius around, her wand abandoned on the mantelpiece instead of clutched in her hands.

"Can you believe there's going to be two of them soon?" Sirius suddenly says, his eyes looking at Kates bump.

"Funnily enough, Sirius I can." She smiles, "Pointing at her growing belly as it moves."

"I'll never get used to that." Sirius admits, his eyes watching the way her belly shifts, he turns to Zion, "Is that your baby brother or sister?"

"Baby!" Zion smiles pointing to Kates belly.

"That's right, you're so smart!" Sirius grins, "Baby boy or baby girl?"

"Boy!!" Zion yells, struggling out of his Dads arms.

Sirius places him on the floor, watching as he walks over to his Mum. She scoops him up and places him on her lap, Zion bends down and kisses the bump. He'd seen Sirius doing it a lot recently and had started to copy. As he pulls away, there's slobber and snot on Kates dress and Sirius can't help but laugh.

"Baby!" Repeats Zion touching her belly gently.

Sirius smiles, wondering if this is how excited he was for Regulus. He knows he wouldn't have sat on his Mother's knee or kissed her bump, but surely he would've been excited like this. The age gap between Zion and his sibling was similar to that of him and his own brother. He must've understood that a baby was coming.