Little Cries

The Bridgerton family all sat together in the drawing room that almost resembled the drawing room back in London. Anthony had refused to start the family dinner without the three that had yet to join them. The carriage carrying their bags and Marie, Alina's maid, had arrived a few moments ago but Anthony's concern grew as the time slowly ticked by. "Anthony, the children are hungry. Alina will understand that we waited for as long as we could." Anthony sighed and looked down to his watch.

"Very well, you enjoy your dinner. I will continue to wait for-" Suddenly the doors flew open and the missing driver soaked from head to toe stood huffing out of breath, drawing everyone's attention to the intruder.

"Forgive me, my lord, but it's the carriage." The driver informed them, shaking violently. "The horses got spooked by the storm and threw me before getting loose and causing the carriage to crash into the creek."

"Oh my god.." Violet muttered as she stood. Anthony was shocked by the news, unable to speak. The only thought that filled his mind was that he had lost his wife and child. The same fear had felt watching his father die filled his body leaving a cold chill. He was sure that time had stopped as he stood there, eyes wide and frightened.

"Before I came for help I ran to them and Lord Javalera had assured me that he and miss Eloise were okay." The driver continued. Violet sighed in relief for a moment as Anthony forced himself to focus on the situation.

"Alina. What of Alina?" He demanded, his voice shaking slightly at the end and much harsher than he had intended.

"I-I do not know my lord. Lord Javalera had informed me that she was unconscious when I left to find help." Anthony shook his head and cleared his throat, trying to gather his thoughts.

"Mother, have the maids gather as much hot water as possible and blankets." With that Anthony sped out of the door, his hands shaking, and he quickly grabbed his coat with the driver hot on his heels.

"Anthony, wait!" Benedict called running after his older brother. "Benedict grabbed his coat as well and placed his hand on Anthony's shoulder. "She's going to be okay." Anthony nodded, not able to trust his voice and the three men made their way out into the calming storm and ran as fast as they could. As he ran, flashes of his father and his mother's devastated cries filled his head and his own tears wanted to fall as he tried to push his legs as fast as he could and for the first time in years he prayed, begging for Alina and his child to be okay. "There they are!" Benedict shouted as three figures moved out of the trees just up ahead.

Eloise ran forward toward her brothers and once she reached Benedict she threw her arms around him and cried into his chest, thankful to see her family after the night that she had. Anthony ran to his wife, noticing just how pale she looked and terrified she must have been. "Alina..." Anthony stopped right in front of her and placed both of his hands on her cheeks to raise her head to look up at him. Anthony kissed the top of her head and wrapped his arms around her smaller, shivering frame. "Thank god...I thought I lost you." Alina wrapped her arms around him just as tightly. "Come, we must get you all inside and warmed up." Anthony nodded over to Javier and wrapped his arms around Alina and the small group made their way back to Aubrey Hall. Alina hadn't said a word the entire walk back, however Anthony was just happy to see her walking and breathing. Violet stood in the doorway, waiting for her children to come inside with some maids beside her with warm blankets.

"Eloise! Are you alright?" Violet asked as she wrapped her arms around her soaked daughter. "We must warm you up. We have a bath waiting for all of you upstairs." Eloise nodded and allowed her mother to lead her upstairs. Marie ran forward and wrapped her arms around Alina, the news of their carriage had made its way through the staff.