162: Obstacles (2)

Chapter 162: Obstacles (2)

-

It was midnight, making it 16 hours since Mirko has been running.

Around 8 hours ago, when she was preparing to go home after finishing today's patrol, an unexpected villain attack happened. Strangely, it wasn't a single villain, but it wasn't a group either. Multiple individual villains were attacking different parts of the city.

Things weren't looking good because she couldn't contact the other heroes and even the police because of some sort of network blockage, and from the words of the few heroes she came across later, it seemed to be a country-wide problem.

Japan's network was being jammed, and more shockingly, villains who should have been locked in Tartarus, along with 'villains' who were supposed to be civilians, were attacking all over the country.

Mirko was but a single hero, she couldn't be everywhere. That worried her.

She tried her fastest to finish the villains in her primary city before moving to another, but even though it's been 8 hours since then she has only cleared three cities.

"Huff... persistent bastards." Mirko panted with a grin as she wiped sweat from her forehead, stepping on top of three limply laid down Nomus. "Looks like these brain monsters are the hardest opponents amongst the rampaging villains. Though their presence means the League is behind this attack. Kinda shocking."

Shocking, but fun. This was tiring, first patrolling for 8 hours and then fighting for 8 hours straight. Even her adrenaline was coming off at this point. But still. There was a strange thrill behind all this.

Mirko jumped off the bodies, kicking off and slumping down on her butt on the ground as she decided to take a break.

"Thrilling or not, this situation is quite lame. Because of the network jam, I can't contact Neji, I wanna know if he's fine or not." She wasn't particularly worried about his safety. If she was fine with these villains, he would be finer. But there was still a strange ominous feeling to it...

'Nah, he's fine.' Rumi yawned, stretching her hands and standing up. 'He can't not be fine. That brat's too strong for his own good.'

She just hoped his other girls wouldn't drag him down, as they are pretty weak... though Rumi was mostly guessing since she only saw that Momo girl in action.

'Still, I wanna meet him. It's been a while since we talked outside texting.' Rumi felt lonely because of that, and now this stinking situation meant they won't be able to experience peace for a few months.

Shrugging, she jumped off, leaving the destroyed street behind and going towards another city.

It was then, as she jumped off buildings from buildings, that red feathers started to rain down from the sky, making her frown.

"Stop showing off, come out!" she shouted, still running as she heard a soft laugh from above before she found a man in a yellow costume flying beside her.

"Looks like someone is having fun even in this situation." the man in yellow said, smiling as his red wings flapped behind him. "Yo, been a while Mirko."

"Hawks, don't annoy me. Go away." Rumi scoffed, kicking off, but unable to outrun the fastest hero of Japan, No.3 in the Hero Billboard, Pro Hero Hawks. "Tsk."

"Hey, come on~ I am not here to annoy you. This is a serious situation." Hawks said, laughing. "I am gathering the top heroes since we can't gather by the usual means because of the network blockage. The blockage will probably be taken out in a few days, if not hours, but we gotta prepare for the worst-case scenario and gather together sooner than later."