16| war

"DO YOU THINK WE should take those threats seriously?"

Helene glanced up at the director, who was sitting in front of her, even more scared than he usually was. He still couldn't manage to sit still, fidgeting with his hands the whole time. She noticed the bitten edges of his nails, the way his eyes always flicked to the door nervously, as if he wanted to know he'd be able to get away any time. At times he'd glance at his watch, before briefly letting his gaze wander over the brand name on it, like that would set his heart at ease. It probably did.

When Nathan had made his statement, she had expected the reaction just as much as he had. He didn't mind the chaos that ensued, the way they had immediately taken him back to his cell, only to call the director. In other cases they would probably have waited until she was finished before they removed a patient from his doctor, but she supposed they didn't want to take any liberties with Nathan. Removing him from the situation at once hadn't been the best option though, that she knew for sure. They should have waited. She could've gotten more information out of him. All they had risked now was getting him angry.

She couldn't help but recall the sight of him being escorted out of the room by five guards, the way he had thrown his head back in laughter, messy hair falling out of his piercing eyes as he had looked back at her.

"Say the word, Helene," he had said," say the word and I'll do it right now."

She hadn't said anything and he had smiled in that way of his which made it clear to the world that he was in control, always. The guards had urged her to go to the director and Dante had immediately followed her there, refusing to wait outside. Now he was sitting beside her with his arms crossed, like this was the only way to make the director behave.

"What do you think?" Dante frowned," why would the crazy psychopath who's in here for serial murder lie about killing us?"

"You know how these criminals are," the principal said," they're just trying to stir the pot."

"What pot?" Dante exclaimed," he might not be able to kill us all, but I can assure you he will certainly make sure to start with you."

She should really talk to Dante one of these days about how to act around authority figures. Honestly, she was surprised he hadn't been sent away for punishment earlier. The director was clearly unsure about whether to get angry or scared, so Helene spoke up before he could decide.

"Let me talk to him," she said," the guards interrupted my session, he won't be pleased."

"I don't think him being pleased is a priority right now," the director frowned," my safety should be put first."

Helene stared at him, wondering if he was stupid or simply that selfish. Did he not realize his safety depended entirely on Nathan's mood? For now, he seemed to be satisfied with verbal threats and games, but Helene knew that was only because anything further than that would result in him being isolated to prevent any further harm, both from the guards as from her. Whatever reason it was, she was keeping him interested, so he didn't want to lose that yet. As soon as his boredom towards the ants walking around him would shift to anger, then he'd burn this whole place down.

He'd make good on his word, that was a truth she knew. Even all the highly trained guards in this prison wouldn't be able to stop him, because he wouldn't have come here if he hadn't known for certain that he'd be able to get out. What other prison would be better to show to the world what he was capable of when he escaped? She was already seeing the future before it had placed it's cold hands around her throat, so now all she could do was either act or leave.

Should she run away again? She was getting involved too deeply in matters which would only pull her down. Perhaps she should move countries altogether this time. Perhaps she should discard her title and spend her days plucking crimson apples in a warm village thousands of miles away. It was a sweet thought, but one she knew could never come true. There was no running away from her problems, even if she tried. She stared at the director, wondering if she should even give him sincere advice or simply a sweet smile. When she caught Dante's gaze, she knew what her choice had to be.