Chapter Seven

Over the next few days, Fiona and Abraham did not speak much, just snuck around and waited for a chance to make a move. They especially never spoke of the throne room scene.

And although Fiona couldn't deny how handsome Abraham was, she couldn't help but dream of Gabriel every night, how they had danced... he would think he had failed her. She could barely bear it, but one day their chance came.

There was to be a masked ball that was being thrown in celebration of Chairman Amstel's youngest daughter's sixteenth birthday. Fiona and Abraham had devised a plan to try and interrogate a chairman, and see what information they could gather about the council's plans.

Without proper clothes, Fiona suggested that they go as servants and caterers. Abraham had other plans in mind.

They snuck out of the forest, on the opposite side of the palace, and ended up in a small circle of shops and parlors.

There was a two-story building that looked like it housed many people because of the number of belongings and roller boards out front.

Dodging between alleys, Abraham and Fiona avoided the few people that were present in the ring of buildings but had to slip into a bar once for something to eat.

It took them only an hour to find a small squat building that sold formal and extravagant clothes.

Fiona marched up the store, prepared to demand a gown and suit, explain who she was, and hope that whoever was running the place listened.

A firm hand on her shoulder stopped her short, and she turned to face a stern Abraham. "I think it's best if they don't know who you are," he suggested, practically reading Fiona's mind. "Maybe we should just pretend like we have a show to catch, get some clothes, and walk out like decent people."

Fiona nodded with a slow breath. Without warning, Abraham hooked their elbows and pushed open the door.

The shop was overly warm and smelled of lemons. The wooden floors were scuffed up and the ceiling no higher than six feet. The whole place was lit up by what little light streamed through the caked windows. But, at the front of the store was a grey marble desk, strewn with beads and lace and other crafting materials.

There was a lineup of elaborate green and white gowns behind it, each with blooming skirts and overflowing sleeves.

There was one specific suit fitted on a mannequin that was designed to look like it was made of snake scales. It was emerald green and had a cream white top hat and matching similar colored dress shoes. It also came with a white cane and gloves. Abraham had eyes for it immediately.

"Hello, sir?" Asked Fiona shyly, playing her role.

An old balding man wearing a tan jumper jumped and scurried to the counter from where he had been stitching a sleeve onto a pale yellow coat. Blinking half-blind eyes he swiped at his nose and looked between his two customers. "Yes? What do you want?" He asked hurriedly. Fiona could've sworn she saw at least three curly hairs fall from his shaking form.

"We need a gown and a suit for tomorrow night, we are going to catch a show, and I was wondering if I could get that suit..." Abraham said, but the balding man was no longer listening.

He had marched into a small room behind the counter, and a few moments later rolled out a female mannequin that was wearing a fiery gown.

The skirt was full, covered in embroidery that mimicked white and black smoke. The sleeves pointed at the end of the wrist, and it had a slight v-neck that ended in standing lace on either shoulder. Golden beads decorated the bodice, and the skirt had gold, red, and orange ruffles layered around it.