Chapter 17: Ancient Ministry - 1

Tempestamens 18, 1614 Central Calendar

Three days have passed since the Imperial Conference where the policies of the Empire were approved and the senior officials of the country were busy carrying out their duties. Among them is the approval for the development of a new type of engine for the Heavenly Vessels, the magic turbojet. For that matter, other ministries than the MOASEC also began their work. Among them, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had contacted the ambassadors to the neighboring countries to hold talks with their governments for preliminary negotiations, while inside the country, preparations for reopening and redevelopment of mines with NMC-22 deposits are underway. All of these were done to support the MOASEC's new development.

Meetings between the Holy Milishial Empire's ministers have been held several times since then to iron out the details, such as to what extent the Empire will relax the technology restriction to nations that are willing to allow the Empire mining rights on their soil or if they will provide technology at all, given the Emperor only ordered them to 'offer the nations reasonable support' during the Imperial Conference. Hence it was up to the relevant bureaucrats to figure out a plan to the best of their ability.

In particular, five of the Empire's heads of executive departments are going back and forth between their offices and the Albion Palace to hold audiences with the Emperor: Minister of Foreign Affairs, Lewis Maddock; Minister of Military Affairs, Ignis Schmill Pao; Minister of Treasury, Herodia Courtenay; Director of Economy Ministry, Edith Sommerville; and the one who faced it with tremendous anxiety, Director of MOASEC, Arsene Lippin.

This is not the first time that Emperor Milishial VIII only gave the outline of a policy and left it up to subjects to decide how to follow his order. In fact, he had done it so many times ever since his coronation despite having enough experience, intelligence, and wisdom to run a nation on his own. This is because Milishial VIII believes that if the leaders of a nation listened to their emperor too much, they will eventually lose the capacity to think for themselves and will hinder the operations of the Empire in the future.

However, this approach is a gamble in itself because sometimes the bureaucrats are prone to making blunders in decision-making. Sometimes they made such an error that they were fired or resigned as a result, and then replaced by another bureaucrat that seemed competent enough to be promoted to fill their place. However, a bureaucrat's skill in one job does not translate to another, and these bureaucrats suddenly found themselves in a position where they are no longer competent. As a result, the entire hierarchy tends to be filled by those who are incompetent at their job.

The latest notable victim of this is the MOASEC's previous leader. The replacement, Arsene Lippin, is a capable bureaucrat in his previous job, but will he show competence in his new station as a Director as well?

Other bureaucrats considered him to be a very lucky man, but they also began to wonder how long this youngest executive officer can last as the Director of the Ancient Ministry with his lack of experience. Some of the snider ones even placed bets.

It is up to Lippin to prove them wrong.

-----------------------

13:00

San Redentore District

The San Redentore District, located in northeastern Runepolis, is the location of the Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures. Situated in the secluded outskirts of the capital city, the MOASEC is the only ministry whose headquarters is located here, far away from the cluster of government offices in and around the Albion District.

On an empty winding road leading to the MOASEC building, a black car is moving at a leisure pace, its magic engine giving a soft whine that broke the quietness of the scenery. A forest of maples, pines, cedars, spruce, and larch trees grows on both sides of the road, with falling leaves raining from above. Meanwhile, the car continued to push through the carpet of orange leaves that littered the black asphalt of the road.