Chapter 90

After reassuring Nyx that I would play with her after making the next boss and ushering her out, I sat in my office and stared at the ceiling, juggling all of my thoughts. There was so much going on, so a lot of the work was piled on top of me. I groaned and leaned forward, resting my head against the table. The coolness of the wood pressed against my head, and I let out another short groan.

This was so much work. Not to mention I needed to get back to the expansion and keep running that. At the moment, the veterans were constructing many buildings and populating them with items. I still needed to finish laying the concrete down for the roads and ensure they would last the wear and tear. Thank god I asked Kharon to deal with the negotiations. Otherwise, I may have had a mental breakdown.

I took a deep, steadying breath, sat up, and cleared my throat. For now, I just need to take care of this boss, and then I can focus on other things. I reached out across the desk and grabbed my notebook and pen. Now, what did I want this character to be like? I flipped open the page and tapped my pen against the paper as my mind wondered.

Each tap of the pen echoed in my mind as I felt my mental grip slip. In a way, it was much like the allure of sleep, but this was something more. Another tap, I felt my head grow fuzzy, and a voice slithered its way into my mind. The voice, I recognized as my own, but the words didn't feel like mine.

"Octavian Varus, thank you for giving me your time." As the words seeped into my mind, my office seemed to change around me, as a strange fog seemed to seep in from the walls. A warm orange light fought its way through a stained glass window on my far right, basking the room in a steady glow.

Across from me was a large man standing, who stood well over two meters tall. The warm light kissed a face that was marred by a countless number of scars that cross each other almost endlessly. A set of storm gray eyes were locked onto me as if he were trying to see through me. "No Empress, the honor is mine." His voice was far deeper than any voice I've ever heard, and he flourished a bow with ease. His battle uniform was perfectly straightened and hardly wrinkled as it reacted to his movements.

"Please, take a seat. I know the journey here was a long one." My voice sounded weak and almost pathetic next to the man I now knew as Octavian. I struggled to speak once more, but the words didn't leave my mouth. In fact, it was as if I wasn't in control of my body.

Without another word, the large man sat down in a finely designed chair, which struggled to hold his entire body. I reached forward and grabbed a small porcelain cup covered in a myriad of flower designs. A tiny waft of steam slowly rose into the air as I swirled it around and took stock of the man before. "I know my summon was rather unexpected and rushed, but you see, I need someone with your expertise. Not to mention, reputation."

The haze that seemed to crowd around the man slowly pushed to the side as more of his facial features became visible. His flesh was sun-kissed and had a slight leathery appearance as if it were dried from the constant exposure to the light. His nose was prominent, and his cheeks well defined. Honestly, he was a very handsome man, though in a rugged way.

"What do you need from me?" His voice boomed once more as he spoke.

I swirled around the cup of liquid, and the familiar scent of tea tickled my nose. Instead of answering, I brought the cup up to my lips, and the hot liquid rushed into my mouth. I could taste soft notes of vanilla interlaced with orange and honey as the tea coated my tongue and mingled with my taste buds. This was by far the most exquisite tea I've ever had. "As you know, we are beset on all sides by various forces. Not to mention the rise of the mortuary cult in the capital. Even the counts in the western states are struggling to fend off the Tyrrhenian threat. Morale is at an all-time low."