Return to Us: Pemberontak

Warning: Boboiboy Movie 2 spoilers, descriptions of trauma

***

"Welcome, team Kokotaim."

Ice blinked in surprise, so caught off guard that he didn't think to freeze the possible witness. Luckily, the alien appeared not to have any intention of calling attention to them.

Beside him, Solar and Fang both tensed.

"Who are you, and how do you know who we are?" Fang demanded, shadows flickering at his fingertips.

Despite the clear threat, the alien only smiled serenely.

"Who am I? Oh, there's no need to ask that. After all, I'm sure your spies have already reported my name back to your superiors."

Immediately, Ice' mind flashed back to the mission data they had read earlier. There was only one name in the scout's report, frequently mentioned in a fearful tone.

"Pemberontak." He breathed, knowing that he was right.

The smile grew slightly, "Correct. And of course I know who you are - everyone does. You're quite popular, you know. Though if you're asking how I know you would be here, that's quite simple; I was the one who tipped off your organization."

"You-" Ying started, "You tipped us off about yourself? You wanted us to come here... so we'd fall into a trap!"

"Very clever, Miss Ying," Pemberontak praised in a tone that made Ying growl lowly, "And now that you are here, within my grasp, I will give you two options: give me what I want quietly and I will allow you to leave without a struggle, or resist and I will defeat you and take it anyway. The choice is yours."

"And what is it that you want?" Yaya asked warily.

This time, Pemberontak grinned widely, a near-manic grin that made the hairs on Ice's neck stand up on end.

"I want what everyone wants, Miss Yaya. I want the elemental powers."

The elemental powers.

All the occupants of the room, save for the villain himself, sucked in sharp breaths. Ice froze, recalling the last time he had heard that statement.

Retak'ka.

Suddenly, Pemberontak seemed a hundred times more intimidating, his image seemingly flickering between green box-head and blue with cracked armor. Familiar mannerisms that had been overlooked before now jumped out. Ice felt overwhelmed by the need to run, to get away from here so would never again have to witness what he had seen that day - because if he did, he wasn't sure he would be able to rebuild himself again.

Only the knowledge that Solar was also here - that Solar would surely suffer that same fate again if Ice didn't protect him - kept him where he was. The two opposing instincts clashed in his head, rooting him to the spot.

***

Yaya glanced to the side once she had gotten over her initial shock and was met with the sight of two boys standing stock-still, expressions of terror clear on their faces. Something about how the fear was displayed so plainly on the normally-stoic faces made protective anger flare up strongly in her.

Along with Ying and Fang, she moved to stand in between the brothers and Pemberontak, blocking their view of each other.

"Don't even think about laying a finger on them," She warned Pemberontak, her hands and boots starting to glow.

"I take it you choose the second option, then?" Pemberontak asked breezily.

"We choose to defeat you and protect our friends!" Ying said, full of resolve.