CHAPTER 24

“…What?”

“Wouldn’t it be better for the Grand Duke just to lend me your hand rather than for me to die of a heart attack?”

“….”

“To be honest, I’m so nervous right now. I feel like my heart is about to stop.”

In the end, I threw away all my pride.

I was not born with any bravery, or fearlessness in the first place so I could not pretend that I had it. The fear of not knowing when and where I would die made the comfort of knowing the original story and Eli’s survival kit now useless.

It was because, in the dimly lit house in the shade of the trees, something shimmering was chasing us with every step we took.

“Actually, it seems like someone has been watching us for a while now. Every time we take a step, I feel like eyes are always on me!”

I whispered as I buried my face in the tightly clasped arms. I thought Cain would tell me to get off right away, so I hugged his arm more and added my words.

“I really don’t know where we’re going, but until we get into a building, I’m not letting go…!”

Warmth reached my hand that was holding the cuffs of his sleeve as though they were my lifeline.

I flinched and lifted my head as his large hand was wrapped around her tiny hand. Cain asked, raising the corner of his lips playfully.

“My hands are a bit expensive, is that okay?”

“My father has a lot of money. Your Highness doesn’t need to worry about that.”

“….”

“I will pay it back even if I sell real land.”

“I’ll take what I want, then.”

As if telling him to do whatever he wants, I nodded my head vigorously.

As his large hand held and wrapped around my trembling hand, I finally let out a breath of relief. I then glanced around again, and the surroundings were still eerie and quiet.

I kept getting goosebumps at that strange stillness. Of course, this stillness was not the only thing I was afraid of.

“I should have learned some swordsmanship.”

“….”

“No, of course not. Even if I had learned it, I might still be doing this.”

“From my point of view, it would be better for the Young Lady not to learn swordsmanship.”

“…Why?”

“If it were not a fist, but a sword to wield out of fear, wouldn’t many have already died?”

His words filled with teasing taunts made me unable to speak and I stared at Cain. To be honest, his words were so plausible that I did not even think to refute them.

“But… But, aren’t you afraid, Your Highness?”

“What?”

“No, we walked all the way from the entrance of the village to here, yet I couldn’t see a single person or anything at all, and in the lines of houses…!”

I bit my mouth, feeling like something was about to pop out at any moment.

Of course, it was also true that this village, where the sound of life was not felt at all, was terrifying.

However, what was more frightening than that was seeing the dozens or hundreds of twinkling things shining through the windows in the dark house that looked exactly like the eyes of an animal in the dark.

It was terrifying to see those gazes follow us every time we moved.

“If the gaze you’re looking at is scary, then don’t look at it like that.”

“….”

“I don’t think it would be a bad idea to look elsewhere.”

…Somewhere else? Should I rather look elsewhere?

I stared at Cain, who was suggesting a solution with a dull voice. Yeah, maybe I was so conscious of those gazes that I am even more frightened.

Although there was also the fear of not knowing when I would die, it was even scarier because I cared about those gazes!

Thinking that, I clung to his side and hurriedly glanced around me.

A place to look at, a place to look at so I can ignore those gazes that followed me…

As I looked around me, I could see Cain, who was gazing at me. I blinked for a moment and stared at him, my eyebrows were twitching.

“Why do you look like that?”

“…I found it.”

“What?”

“A place to look at.”

My words tilted Cain’s head slightly.

His brow narrowed as he tilted his head crookedly before he opened his mouth, “So, what you’ve found now is my face?”

“Truthfully, I was really scared up until a little while ago.”

“….”

“But, looking at the Grand Duke’s face, what’s scary is, all the worries in the world seem to disappear.”

“….”

“I think I understand now what people mean by falling and dwelling for Your Highness’ face.”

He bursted into laughter at my ridiculous excuse.

I smiled along with the corners of his curved eyes, but behind me, I could hear a creaking sound as if someone was opening an old door.

“Kyyaak!”

Instinctively, I hugged Cain tightly.

I could hear the sound of his heart pounding through my ear, which was pressed against his chest. The sound of his heart pounding was faster than my heart beating loudly in fear. He did not show it, but was he terrified as well…?

At the unexpected sound of his heart, I raised my eyes and looked at him. Cain, who was holding my back as I dug into his arms, was smiling at me.

“I guess my face could get rid of all the worries in the world, though it couldn’t get rid of the Young Lady’s fear.”

…Dangerous.

The sound of his heart tickling my ears and the smile on his face as he gazed at me… Somehow, I thought it was very treacherous.