Chapter fourteen.

We were walking along a deserted street about twenty minutes away from Central Park, I was watching the shadows for any small movements that could be the Demiguise or the Niffler, so far I was coming up empty. Jacob was watching me and Newt with curiosity, "So, have you guys always known each other?"

"Although it feels like it—no, we haven't, we met when we were eleven." I replied, sticking my head down a dark alleyway to look for any signs of movement.

"Oh—so while now, then?" He asked.

"Yes, we didn't fit in a lot in school, so we stuck with each other." Newt commented.

"That's his polite way of saying, no one at the school liked us, particularly me, so we stuck to ourselves, made sure we kept our heads down." I explained, walking slightly ahead of them.

"I was watching you at dinner." Newt stated, looking at Jacob.

"Well that's always a great sentence starter." I grumbled, wrapping my arms around myself against the cold wind.

"Yeah." Jacob commented.

"People like you,, don't they, Mr. Kowalski?"

"Oh—well, I'm—I'm sure people like you both—huh?" He stuttered.

"Not really, I annoy people." Newt stated, his tone unconcerned.

"Me either, I tend to scare people." I commented.

"How can people be scared of you?" He asked, looking at me in disbelief.

"It doesn't matter." I mumbled, keeping my stare ahead.

I watched out the corner of my eye as Newt's curiosity was peaked by Jacob and how he lived his life, "Why did you decided to be a baker?"

"Ah well, um—because I'm dying—in that canning factory. Everyone there's dying. It just crushes the life outta you. You like canned food?"

"No really." I replied.

"No." Newt stated.

"Me neither. That's why I want to make pastries, you know. It makes people happy. We're going this way." He suddenly went off to his right, we followed him obediently, trusting he knew where he was going.

"Did you get the loan you went for?" I asked, hoping the answer would be positive.

"Er, no—I ain't got no collateral. Stayed in the army too long, apparently—I don't know." He replied, completely defeated at the idea of not getting his bakery.

"What, you fought in the war?" Newt asked, intrigue clouding his tone.

"Of course I fought in the war, everyone fought in the war—you didn't fight in the war?"

"We were overseas, studying creatures that could help us win the war." I stated.

"We worked mostly with dragons, Ukrainian Ironbellies—Eastern Front." Newt elaborated.