Chapter fifteen.

As I was now behind Newt, when he stopped suddenly, I crashed right into his back, making me bash my forehead against his shoulder, I took a step back and glared at the back of his head, he turned his head half way to look at me, "Sorry."

I grunted a reply and looked down at the floor, seeing a trail of diamonds and other shiny jewels, I followed Newt as we tracked the jewels back to a source, he stopped again when we got just past a large jewellery window, he turned around and started to walk back, making me walk backwards, his eyes locked on the window. I followed his gaze and looked in disbelief as we saw the Niffler, his one arm outstretched from it was hanging bejewelled bracelets, he was completely still, apart from the rise and fall of his stomach as he breathed; he was pretending to be a jewellery stand. I shared a disbelieving look with Newt before looking back at the little guy, he finally looked at us, I raised one of my eyebrows at him, I could see Newt pulling a similar face at him. He dropped his position, grabbed the jewels, and scurried off into the store. Newt pulled out his wand and pointed it at the glass, "Finestra."

The glass shattered into millions of tiny pieces, me and Newt climbed into the store, trying to catch the pilfering pest and take the jewels from him before he caused too much damage. Famous last worsts. We chased the Niffler around the shop, every time we were close to getting him, he would get away again, he slipped through our fingers at every opportunity. Newt started to rifle through draws and the Niffler scurried up him, on his head and jumped on to the crystal chandelier that was over head, Newt soon followed him, swinging from the same chandelier as well, he was on the wrong side through, so I jumped up and grabbed the jewelled metal, closer to the Niffler, but not close enough. We swung around until we all fell on to a case, which could not hold our weight, we fell against a window and a small crack appeared, we all held our breath as we watched the crack slowly get bigger. Outside the window Jacob was inching closer to the case, as one of the clasps had opened, as he clicked it down, I knew what was going to happen, grumbling under my breath, "Oh no, this is going to hurt."

Newt had just enough to time to send me a confused look before we crashed through the window, shattering yet another window. As we hit the ground, I was right, I had glass sticking into me in every direction, but the Niffler was straight off again, scurrying across the road, Newt was quicker than me to get up and pointed his wand at the creature, "ACCIO!"

The Niffler started to sail back towards us, jewels flowing from his pouch in a constant stream, Jacob shielded himself with Newt's case, I was ducking and diving to get away from all the jewels flying towards us, as was Newt, who was leading us. Something must have caught the Niffler's eye, as he swung himself around a lamppost and hurled himself towards another window of another jewellery store, I pulled my wand out and shot a spell toward the window, turning it into a sticky trap that caught the Niffler, upside down and trying to escape. We were all covered in expensive jewellery, Newt looked at the Niffler with a disappointed sigh, "All right? Happy?"

He pulled the Niffler from the window, we didn't have enough time to push him back into the case, as we were surrounded by police officers, their guns pointed at us. I was concealing my wand by my side, the best I could, and Newt was trying to contain the Niffler inside his coat, Jacob pointed to his left, "They went that way, officer"

"Hands up!" He shouted.

Jacob complied, I put one of my hands up and Newt was still holding his coat closed, but it didn't help when the Niffler poked his nose out and started to squeak, I think he was out to screw us over because we ruined his fun.

"What the hell is THAT?"

Jacob looked to his left, his face draining of all colour, he pointed and rasped out, "Lion.."

We all turned our eyes to look, and sure enough there was a lion stalking towards us, Newt chuckled a little, "You know, New York is considerably more interesting than I expected."

"I somehow don't think this is normal." I commented as we disapparanted before the police could looked back at us.