Chapter nineteen.

About an hour later three guards came to the cell, they took myself, Tina and Newt from the cell, as we were being led away, myself and Newt stopped and looked back at Jacob, Newt called out first, "It was good to make you acquaintance, Jacob, and I hope you get your bakery."

"Thank you for protecting me, Jacob, I won't forget you." I called over my shoulder as we were pulled through the corridor.

We were pushed into a bare depressing room, at the centre was a table, two chairs on one side and one on the other, on the single sat Mr. Graves, a file open on the desk in front of him. Me and Newt were pushed down to sit in the two chairs, Graves started speaking immediately, "You're both very interesting."

"Mr. Graves—" Tina tried to protest, but she was silenced with a patronising gesture from Graves.

"You were both throw out of Hogwarts for endangering human life—"

"It was an accident!" Newt cut off.

"There was never any danger to anyone." I commented.

"—with a beast. Yet one of your teachers argued strongly against your expulsions. Now, what makes Albus Dumbledore so fond of you both?"

"I really couldn't say." Newt stated.

Graves turned his attention to me, waiting for me to reply, "I cant read minds, I don't know why he fought so hard for us, but someone had to and it was him and I'm thankful for him fighting for us."

"So setting a pack of dangerous creatures loose in the city, was that just another accident?" Graves pushed.

"Why would we do it deliberately?" I sighed.

"To expose wizardkind. To provoke war between us." Graves commented.

"Mass slaughter for the greater good, you mean?" Newt asked, his eyes wide at the implications.

"Yes. Quite." Graves stated.

"We aren't some of Grindelwalds fanatics, Mr Graves." I snapped, disgusted at the thought.

"But you do share his blood." He commented.

"Only his blood." I snarked, my temper flaring, for some reason I found myself looking back at Tina when I said this, wanting her to know I was nothing like my father.

"I wonder what you can both tell me about this?" Graves asked, he lifted his hand and the Obscurius lifted out of Newts case.

Me and Newt both found ourselves looking back at Tina, wanting to explain ourselves, I start talking first, "It's an Obscurius, but it's not what you think."

"We managed to separate it from the Sudanese girl before she died, we wanted to study it, it cannot hurt anyone." Newt promised.

"So its useless without the host?" Graves asked.

"Useless? That is a dark parasitic force that killed a young girl? How can it be useless?" Newt asked, snapping his head to look back at Graves, anger burning within him.

"What could you ever want to use this for. All it does it cause death and devastation." I asked, my tone accusing, the same anger flaring inside me.

Upon realising he said something wrong, Graves stands from his chair, "You fool nobody, Mr. Scamander, Miss. Grindelwald—"

"Johnson." I snapped.

He carried on as if I hadnt spoke, "You brought this Obscurial into the city of New York in the hope of causing mass disruption—breaking the Statute of Secrecy and revealing the magical world—"

"You know its harmless." I snapped.

"You know it cannot hurt anyone, you know that!" Newt protested, trying to kick back in his chair.

"—you are therefore both guilty of a treasonous betrayal of your fellow wizards and sentenced to death. Miss. Goldstein, who has aided and abetted you—"

"No!" I shouted.

"Neither of them had anything to do with this." Newt protested, giving me a look of complete apology and unspoken words I couldn't quite grasp.

"—she receives the same sentence." Graves finished.

I started shouted at him them, "You have it all wrong, we did nothing wrong! You twisted our words! Tina did nothing! She took us in to help us! She had no idea what was in our case!"

Tina was frozen solid in her spot, unable to speak, Graves spoke over my continuous shouting, "Do it immediately, I will inform President Picquery myself."

Newt looked over at me as we dragged out of the room, he shouted over at me, "Rosaline! We will be okay, I promise."

"How can we be okay now?" I asked, tears streaming down my face, a heart-breaking sight for Newt.

When we reached the execution room, I was pushed forward first, at this point I was hyperventilating, tears were clouding my view, I could hear Tina begging behind me, "Don't do this—Bernadette—please, we are innocent."

"It don't hurt, sugar."

The women beside me pushed her wand against my head, I closed my eyes as a numb feeling overcame me, I slouched slightly, the tears stopping and watched as the memory of my first Christmas with my mom and the Scamander's played in the pool, the women beside me brushed my hair back from my face, "Do you want to go back there?"

I nodded vacantly, I was helped into the chair, vaguely aware of the shouting coming from Tina, and the whispers of my name from Newt, I allowed myself to be fully immersed in the memory of spending Christmas with my favourite people, Theseus was even home that year. Suddenly the image changed and I was taken back to the night I received the first letter from my father, I was in Newt's arms screaming and crying as I clutched at his arms after burning the letter. I woke up from whatever spell I had been under, I noticed the rising waves around me and screamed, watching as Newt and Tina took control over the executioners, Newt had released the Swooping Evil and he was flying around the room, Newt looked over at me, "Rosaline, I need you to jump."

"What? Are you serious?" I exclaimed, looking at the rising acidic black goo around me.

"Jump on him, I will catch you." He vowed, motioning to the Swooping Evil.

"Do you promise?" I asked, catching his eye contact.

"Always." He vowed, keeping eye contact with me.

I took a deep breath, I waited until the Swooping Evil was in front of me and I leapt for my life, I crashed into Newt's arms, our faces an inch apart, we stared at each other for a few seconds, a silent vow in our eyes.