Chapter twenty-three.

We landed on the streets of New York, outside the Macy's department store, we were walking along the long rows of windows, Pickett was now safe in Newts coat pocket and myself, Queenie and Tina were back in our street clothes, thank Merlin for that. Jacob stopped outside on particular window and stared inside, when we all reached it we saw a handbag floating across the room, I shared an amused look with Newt at the sight, and the looks that were on the other threes face at the sight. We walked into the store, keeping our footsteps as light as possible, the store was decorated for Christmas, trees were everywhere and ornaments were all over, making me cringe at the overkill of decoration. There was a small grunting noise coming from over near the floating handbag, Newt started to speak in a low whisper, so not to disturb the creature, "So Demiguise are fundamentally peaceful, but they can give a nasty nip if provoked."

"Quite a nasty nip." I grumbled, looking at the scar on the back of my hand.

We watched as Dougal appeared, he was as gorgeous as when he left, he was a silver-blue coloured orangutan looking creature, with large silver eyes, he was clambering over the sweet display, shoving pieces into the bag. Newt looked over Jacob and Queenie, "You two head that way."

As they started to walk away, I turned to them, "And try very hard not to be predictable in your moves."

They shared a perplexed look, but carried on walking anyway, there was a small roar in the background, making us all freeze. The Demiguise froze for a moment, he looked up at the ceiling, before shoving the sweets in the back with more urgency. Tina looked at me and Newt, "Was that the Demiguise?"

"No, it wasn't." I replied.

"I think it's the reason he's here though." Newt commented, starting to follow after Dougal.

Dougal stopped moving through the aisles, he stopped beside a set of small stairs, he looked back at me and Newt, we stopped as well, Newt smiled softly at him and Dougal continued up the steps, allowing us to follow him. The stairs led us into a small attic, the ceiling was low hanging and it was dark, Newt was explaining the Demiguise to Tina, Queenie and Jacob, "Its sight operates on probability, so it can foresee the most likely immediate future."

We crept up behind the Demiguise, Tina was watching our movements, trying to mimic our steps, "What's it doing?"

"Babysitting." I commented, smiling softly at Dougal when he looked back at me.

"What did you just say--?" She asked.

Newts tone was calm and whispered, moving forwards quietly to kneel beside the Demiguise, "This is my fault. I thought I had them all—but I must have miscounted."

I crept forward to kneel at the other side of Dougal, smiling sweetly at him, there was movement from the rafters, and a large beaked head came from the shadows, an Occamy, Tina looked up in horror at the large Occamy, "It was babysitting that?"

The Occamy was coiled around the room, craning its head down to Dougal it gently took the sweet he was holding out, making me chuckle softly at the strange heart warming sight.

Newt glanced back at the rest of them, "Occamies are choranaptyxic. So they—grow—to fill—available—space."

The Occamy angled his head down towards Newt, Newt froze and gently held his hand out to the creature, "Mummy's here."

I heard something rattle behind us, Dougal took off running as the Occamy raised up and started to panic, Newt held his hands up, "Whoa! Whoa!"

I looked around and saw Dougal jump into Jacob's arms, I looked back at Newt, seeing he was now being thrown around on the back of the Occamy, thrashing around violently, he looked down at me, "Rosaline, get out of the way!"

His tone was frenzied, I looked around me and jumped behind a large crate as the tail came whipping past where I was just stood, if I had still been there I would have been seriously injured or worse. Newt started to shout out orders to us, "Right, we need an insect, any type of insect—and a teapot! Find a teapot!"

Tina started to crawl through the chaos, I was still crouched behind the crate, trying to figure out a way to help Newt without getting trampled myself, as I was caught between a crate, the wall and the Occamies tail, I couldn't move anywhere. I watched with desperation as Jacob, Queenie and Tina rushed around the room, Jacob finally caught a cockroach, the Demiguise still clinging to his back, Tina stood up and screamed, "Teapot!"

The Occamy raised again, now trapping Jacob against a wall not far from me, I was finally able to stand up properly as the Occamy shifted, I was still mostly trapped, but I could stand now, I looked over at Jacob to see the Occamy staring straight at the Roach in Jacobs hand, Dougal promptly disappeared from sight, Jacob was barely breathing at this point. Newt stuck his head out from behind the Occamies, "Roach in teapot.."

I finally clicked at what he was going to do, I chuckled at how long it had taken me to catch on to his plan, I heard Jacob chuckle nervously, he patted the Occamy, he looked over at Tina with wide eyes, he threw the roach through the air. I pulled my wand out and spelled the roach to go through the air and directly into the pot, as the Occamy shifted to follow the roach. Tina cowered as the Occamy reared up into the air, still holding the teapot, Queenie took cover across the room, a colander on her head as protection, I ducked back down behind the crate, Newt landing somewhere near me as he jumped down. The Occamy flew down into the teapot, shrinking as it went down, I rushed over, a lid in my hand and slammed it down on to the teapot, trapping the Occamy in the pot, I breathed a sigh of relief as I shared a look with Tina, "Choranaptyxic. They also shrink to fit the available space."

"That would have been good to know before." She chuckled.

I chuckled as well, looking over as Newt came over to us, Queenie looked over at Newt, "Tell us the truth, is that everything?"

"That was everything, I promise." He replied, kneeling down beside me.

'It's everything, Queenie, I promise.' I thought, smiling softly at her as Newt opened his case.