Chapter twenty-six.

He paused inches from Graves's face, he slowly rises back up, swirling gently as it stared at Tina, Tina looked straight back at it, starting to speak gently, "Don't do this—please."

"Keep talking, Tina. Keep talking to him." Newt prompted.

I watched in wonder as the Obscurial seemed to calm down, "He's listening to you, Tina. Keep talking him down."

I saw some recognition on Credence's face as he watched Tina, he knew her as the women who saved him, Tina moved forward slowly, "I know what that women did to you.. I know that you've suffered you need to stop this now Rosaline, Newt and I will protect you"

Graves rises to his feet, Tina points to him, "This man—he's using you"

"Don't listen to her, Credence. I want you to be free. It's all right."

We watched as Credence started to appear again within the black mass, he was calming down, I watched in wonder, standing up and grabbing Newt's hand, looking over at him. Tina smiled softly at Credence, then looking to me and Newt briefly, she shot her eyes back to Credence, "That's it"

Auror's were suddenly filling the tunnel, their wands pointed aggressively towards Credence, who in response began to swell again.

"No! Don't!" I shouted, moving forward, thinking of something to do to protect Credence.

"Shh! Don't, you'll frighten him." Tina pleaded, looking back at the Auror's.

Credence began to swell even more, rising higher into the ceiling again, moaning lowly in fear. Myself, Newt and Tina stood in front of Credence, our arms raised as some form of protection from the Auror's, I looked at Graves, pleading, "If you had any shred of humanity, help us!"

"Wands down! Anyone harms him—they'll answer to me—" Graves turned to Credence, dropping his voice lowly-"Credence."

"Please don't do this." I pleaded, looking over at the Auror's.

They didn't listen. They started to pelt the Obscurial with spells, Newt pulled me down to the floor, shielding my head into his chest, his own arms over his head, shielding us both from the falling debris. I looked up slightly and saw Tina in a similar position just a few feet from us, her face was slightly visible and there were silent tears on her face.

The spells finally stop and there is silence.

I looked up and saw small pieces of black matter floated through the air, up into the streets above. We couldn't save him. My heart ached at another person dying because we couldn't save them, I clung to Newt as he helped me from the floor, I had no anger within me, just disappointment. There was a deep-felt guilt on Newt's face as he looked at where the Obscurial had been, where Credence had been, his arms were wrapped tightly around me, keeping me close to him, Tina remains on the floor, her face covered with tears as she stared at the spot where he had just been.

The Auror's advanced towards Graves, he laughed bitterly as he looked down at the black mess surrounding us, "You fools. Do you realise what you've just done?"

I watched as the anger within Graves became evident on his face, making me furrow my brows in confusion over why he cared so much. I heard the sound of heels and saw Madam Picquery came from behind the Auror's, "The Obscurial was killed on my orders, Mr. Graves."

"Yes. And history will surely note that, Madam President." He stated, walking towards her, his tone was threatening.

"This wasn't right, me and Newt could have saved him." I spoke up, my voice cracking with ushered emotion.

"He was responsible for the death of a No-Maj. He risked the exposure of our community. He has broken one of our most sacred laws—" She explained.

I understood she was doing what she thought was best for her community, but it didn't make it any easier. Graves did not share my thoughts apparently, "A law that has us scuttling like rats in the gutter! A law that demands that we conceal our nature! A law that directs those under it dominion to cower in fear lest we risk discover! I ask you, Madam President—I ask all of you-" His eyes flitted to me before looking back at Madam President- "—who does this law protect? Us? Or them? I refuse to bow down any longer."

"You're a mad man." I commented, watching as he began to walk away.

"Auror's, I'd like you to relieve Mr. Graves of his wand and escort him back—"

A wall of white light appears in front of Graves, blocking him from leaving, he stopped for a second and then turned around, his wand drawn and a sneer on his face; for a split second he reminded me of it couldn't be.

He strode confidently towards the Auror's, firing spells at them as he went, he parries the on coming spells away coming from the groups of Aurors, it looked as though he was winning, sending Auror's flying through the air, I shared a look with Newt, "I think it's time we stopped holding back."

Newt nodded, he let me go and took the Swooping Evil from his pocket, he passes him to me, taking his wand out, he nodded to me and I released the Swopping Evil into the air, he blocked the spells from Graves, Newt pointed his wand at Graves and shoots a cracking light of supernatural rope from the end. It wrapped around Graves's hands, making him drop his wand and stagger until he is kneeling on the floor, struggling against the bonds.

Tina took her wand out, "Accio!"

Graves's wand flies to her, she catches it with ease, he looks over at us as I catch the Swooping Evil, returning him to his cocoon form and placed him in Newt's pocket. Newt helped me back up on the platform and I helped Tina up, we advanced to Graves, Newt raised his wand towards Graves, "Revelio."

I watched in horror as Graves' dark hair faded to bright blonde, his one eye changed, bright white in its place. There was a murmur through the crowd, and for the first time in my life, I was staring into the cold blue eyes of my father; Gellert Grindelwald. He smirked at me, "I told you I would see you soon, sweetheart."

I took a step back, straight into Newt's chest, he placed his hand around my shoulder, a silent solidarity for me, I looked up at him and he looked back down, a look of deep worry and sympathy in his deep blue eyes. I looked back at my father, seeing Madam Picquery moved towards him, Grindelwald smirked dangerously at her, "Do you think you can hold me?"

"We'll do out best, Mr. Grindelwald."

He is pulled to his feet by two Aurors, he was taken straight past me and Newt, he looked down at me, "I knew you would ask for my help eventually."

"I didn't know." I whispered, looking him in the eyes definitely.

He smirked triumphantly before looking up at Newt, "Will we die, just a little?"

With that he was taken away, before he was completely out of ear shot he shouted back down, "I will be seeing you soon, daughter."

I flinched at the certainty in his tone, Newt tightened his grip on me, walking forward towards Tina and the group of Aurors. About five minutes later, Queenie and Jacob came down into the tunnel, pushing their way through, Queenie goes straight to Tina and hugs her tightly, she pulls away and looks at me, reading my mind she moves forward and pulls me into a tight hug, "Oh, honey, I'm so sorry."

I hugged her back tightly, I heard Jacob from somewhere to my right, "Hey I figured somebody oughta keep an eye on this thing."

I pulled away and watched Newt take the case from Jacob with a humble smile, "Thank you."

"Thank you for looking after it." I stated, kissing Jacob on the cheek as thanks.

"It's the least I can do, you guys save New York city, I will look after the beasts." He chuckled.

I chuckled lightly, looking over at Newt, giving him a wide smile, despite the events of the day, my mood was lighter than I expected, Newt smiled back in his own awkward fashion, moving closer to me, his shoulder brushing mine. Madam Picquery walks towards us, making me stand up a little straighter, "We owe you an apology, Mr. Scamander, Miss. Johnson. But the magical community is exposed! We cannot Obliviate an entire city."

There was a beat of silence, I looked down at the case in Newt's hand, an idea coming to mind, "This might sound crazy, but I think I have something."

Newt looked down at me in wonder, he followed my gaze to his case, he looked back up, catching up to what I was thinking, "I actually think we can."