Chapter thirty.

When the final letter arrived from Theseus my heart sank a little, not knowing how we were going to be able to achieve getting a signature from an American Auror when they thought we had already obliviated Jacob. We spoke with Tina, seeing if she knew anything or anyone to get around this problem, lucky for us, she was reinstated as an Auror, so she could sign the documents for us.

After three days of worrying we wouldn't be able to pull it off, we were on our way to the boarding deck, Jacob was safely tucked into Newt's case, looking after the creatures for the long check in process, we said goodbye to the sisters at their apartment, it was easier there, we promised to write to them as soon as we made it home from the docks in England. After everything they had done for us, we couldn't deny them that, I asked them to come and visit London when Newt published his book in a few weeks' time, they quickly agreed to come and see us all. We finally made it on to the boat, we placed the case in the room we had booked, we let Jacob out of the case and he went straight to sleep in one of the two beds, snoring quietly. I smiled softly at his sleeping figure, his hands wrapped tightly around the scarf that Queenie had given him before we departed. Newt gently touched my arm with his hand, he nodded to the door, I nodded back and he led me out and on to the deck, into the cool evening air. He led me down to a secluded area, I looked out at the ocean, the skyline of New York still visible to us, the sun was setting behind it, creating a beautiful orange and pink glow in the sky.

"It's so beautiful." I whispered, leaning against a railing to stare into the distance more comfortably.

"The most beautiful thing I've ever seen." Newt agreed, his voice wistful.

I looked over at him, to see him already looking at me, I blushed a deep red when I realised his comment was directed to me, not the setting sun. I looked back up at him, seeing his freckles were more prominent than ever in the dusky colours of the setting sun, I smiled softly at the sight, he looked down at me, his cheeks tinging red, "What's wrong? Have I overstepped?"

"Not at all. I was just thinking about how much your freckles stand out in the light from the sun." I replied, my cheeks heating up even more.

The one side of his mouth lifted into his signature awkward smile, the apples of his cheeks burning a brighter red than I had ever seen, I chuckled quietly, looking back at the ocean, which was surprisingly calm despite the tumultuous days that preceded today. The wind was picking up though, and it was cold standing out in the open, I shivered against the cold, I felt something heavy drape over my shoulders, I looked over and saw Newt had placed his blue overcoat over my shoulders, smiling softly at me.

"Won't you be cold?" I asked, pulling it tightly around me.

"I'll be fine." He replied, buttoning up his suit jacket.

I pushed my arms through the arm holes and closed the coat around me, chuckling at the absurd size difference between us, Newt looked down at me, smiling when he saw how much the coat hung over my hands. He reached down and lifted up one of my hands, rolling the sleeve down my arm, then repeating the same thing on my other arm as well, smiling softly at me when he had finished.

"Thank you, Newt." I stated, I was thanking him for more than this.

"Always, Ro." He replied, brushing some of my hair away from my face.

I walked forward and wrapped my arms around his waist, resting my head on his chest, he wrapped his arms around me, resting his head on mine, he leant down, catching my eye, he blushed heavily while he stuttered out a question, "Ro—can I—I mean, may I—may I kiss you?"

I looked up at him, shocked, I breathed out deeply and nodded, I leant up to him, meeting him half way, our eyes were closed and we met in the middle. I had waited for this moment for so many years, and it was finally happening. His lips were plump, soft, and warm, he was gentle, almost hesitant as he kissed me, not wanting to push me. We kissed for what felt like hours, but was probably only a few seconds, we pulled away and he leant his forehead against him, blushing brightly and smiling down at me.

"I'm so glad you did that." I whispered, giggling softly.

"I have been scared to ask you that for years, since the first time we kissed." He replied, smiling softly at me.

"I wish you had done it sooner." I replied, pulling away slightly as I heard someone coming towards us.

"Me too." He mumbled, smiling awkwardly at the older woman who was walking towards us.

She smiled back at us, stopping just after passing us, a thick Brooklyn accent coming from her mouth, "I just have to say, you two are as sweet as sugar together."

I looked up at Newt, smiling, I looked back at her, "Thank you, ma'am. Have a good evening."

"Have a good evening, both of you." She replied, going around the corner.

Newt looked down at me, his face caught in thought, I looked up at him with curiosity in my eyes, "What's got your brain whirling?"

"Would you like to accompany me to dinner when we get back to London?" He asked, not entirely meeting my eyes as he spoke.

"I would love to accompany you to dinner, Newt." I replied.

I would be looking forward to our date when we arrived in London, to seeing Theseus again and having Jacob with us, but for now, all we had was a case full of love and that was enough for me.