Chapter 47

"I'll be back in a minute, Jyoti." Sneha quickly told her friend and walked towards the end of the now almost vacant classroom.

Jyoti ignored Sneha and continued copying the notes.

Sneha accepted the phone call and released her frustration directly on her tormentor.

"Did you do it?" It was the first thing she asked Viraj, without mentioning any greeting whatsoever.

Viraj, who was leisurely having a sip of coffee in his office while scanning the documents laid in front of him, raised his brows on hearing his fireball returning to her normal self...something he never thought he was missing so badly!

He placed the coffee cup on the table and relaxed on the comfy chair. A smile automatically made an appearance on his lips.

"What did I do?" He playfully asked while swirling gently. He knew exactly what she was referring to.

Sneha took a deep breath to calm herself.

"I got an email from the library stating that they have removed me along with other part-timers for cost-cutting. You asked them to do it, right?" She asked while trying to control her temper.

Viraj thought over the question and the possible consequence of his response.

"What if I did?" He asked curiously.

Sneha went speechless at his blunt acceptance.

"How could you do this, Viraj? I told you that this job is my only source of income!" She almost whined, completely aware of her helpless situation.

"Rs 8500 per month, Sneha? Seriously?" Viraj asked after making sure that he was alone in his room.

A sharp pain shot through her heart as she heard him openly mocking her monthly salary. Her mouth opened and closed since she had no words to retort.

If she had any expectations from this man, it was gone now.

'Why the hell am I crying now?' She scolded herself internally as her eyes moistened quickly in self-shame. Sure her salary wasn't much. But, it was the reward for her hard work. How can her so-called fiance make fun of it?

Her silence was louder than any word for Viraj.

"Sneha?" He called for her attention. He checked the screen to verify if the call was still connected or not.

"How did you get to know my salary?" She asked the naive question.

Viraj couldn't help but chuckle.

"I have all the possible information about you, fiancee." He again answered playfully, still not realizing his mistake.

And here, she wasn't even aware of his mother's name!

"So, you are ashamed of my salary! Is this the reason why you made me lose this job?" She asked.

Viraj sighed.

"'Ashamed' is a very heavy word, Sneha. I just don't want you to work for a living. It is a huge blot on my reputation." He elaborated.

Suddenly, she wanted to pull her hair out...or better, his hair out!

"How is my working outside a blot on your reputation?" She still managed to ask gently.

"Didn't I tell you yesterday that the women in my family do not earn? It is my job to do so." He reiterated as he held his pen from the table to sign the documents laid in front of him.

And, this seriously irritated her to no limit.

"This is why I don't want to be a part of your family!" She blurted out the truth in frustration, forgetting the implication at the moment.