twenty eight

"Tomorrow night, we have Armani's engagement party!" she exclaimed with joy, her usual dull expression morphed a full blown grin

I froze. Armani, who sat beside me had a look of shock plastered on his face as if he himself was unaware of the 'good' news. 

"I thought we agreed not to dwell upon this again, mother." Armani's monotonous voice rung through the cold air. His voice was rigid, almost strained.

"This topic is not up for discussion, Armani." Maria retorted with a subtle vicious smirk.

"This party was not to be held for tomorrow Ma-, mother." Luca frowned at her words.

I couldn't register the fact that she had the nerve to plan out everything and prepone the entire 'celebration' without any prior information to us. My anger was building up and I didn't know how long my patience would last. 

I did not want to paint some colourful words for their mother. 

"Maria, I shall have a word with you in my office!" I raged, my jaw clenching. "NOW!" I growled.

Her smirk fell and she paled slightly. Her false confidence did not last long as she backed off from the intensity of my glare. 

I knew Astrea was confused, everyone was, but as a father, my priority was Armani at the moment. 

No one intervened, not even dad. His patience always wavered when it came to Maria. He barely spoke to her.  Unlike the relationship between dad and Sarah, the one between him and Maria was too fake.

Even our relationship hung on a thread, very often. 

I stormed out of the family room, enraged and banged open the door to my office. My blood was boiling.

Taking a deep breath I calmed myself, and took my seat. Rubbing my temples, I released a sigh.

 Rubbing my temples, I released a sigh

I was struck with shock. All of them saw me with shame and disapproval.

Knocking on the door to his office, I dared not to disrespect him in the devil's lair.