Air of Betrayal

"B-But I d-didn-"

"That's you right there, Midoriya," Nezu said, a hard edge in his voice, as he studied the hand-cuffed student with his beady eyes. "There is no point in denying it. Please make this easier for everyone, just tell us what you did with the information you took."

"I'm t-telling you, that's not me!"

All Might scoffed and Aizawa pinched the bridge of his nose. Seeing these reactions from his teachers, people he'd come to trust, it snapped his heart in two.

"Midoriya. Your fate is already decided. There is no reason to hide this from us any more."

"...why doesn't anyone believe me..."

***

Izuku Midoriya's life was a rollercoaster.

He grew up loving heroes, All Might in particular.

He was declared quirkless.

He got a quirk from All Might himself, and started attending his dream school, U.A.

As a hero-in-training, he did his best. Notably he'd saved Kota from Muscular, and Eri from Chisaki. Kota sent him a thank you letter, which he treasured, and Eri latched on to him as a surrogate father. He filled the role as best he could.

Things were looking up.

Until they weren't.

Information on schedules and teachers of U.A. had disappeared from Nezu's office one evening. On checking footage recorded by a hidden camera, he was shocked by what he saw. Izuku Midoriya. He was moving carefully, but the look on his face was what cemented the boy's guilt. 'Izuku's' eyes were wide. He was panicked and was exhibiting all the mannerisms that made Izuku Izuku. Nezu didn't want to believe it, but that was definitely him.

Why would Izuku have done a thing like that? Did he want to add to his hero notes? Then why take the schedule? Maybe he wanted a head start on what the school year would entail? In that case, he should have asked a teacher. But what would he need with the info?

Things moved quickly from there. Nezu was already on guard for a plant in U.A.. That was why he'd hidden that camera. Hound Dog was called in. He tracked the strange scent in the office out of the window all the way to Izuku's room. When Izuku's room was searched thoroughly and there was no sign of the documents, everyone assumed the worst had already happened.

To make matters worse for Izuku, no-one could vouch for his whereabouts that night. Aizawa made the tough decision to present Izuku's charges and the supporting evidence to his class. There were murmured sounds of disbelief, but like Nezu and the faculty, they eventually came to the conclusion that Izuku Midoriya was a traitor.

Aizawa held a hero training class later that day. He instructed everyone to target Midoriya. His goal was to restrain the 'traitor.' He called for the match to start, and Izuku focused on drawing out the power he'd been given, before all the energy just... disappeared, vanished, and he couldn't call on it.

'Where did One for All go...?' the boy thought, as his classmates advanced on him.

Izuku looked up, and from a distance, he could make out the distinct floating hair of his homeroom teacher.

Recovery Girl could barely heal him.

***

"Was everything an act? Did he set everything up?" All Might snarled, as he sat across the table from Izuku, who was still hand-cuffed. "Put Young Bakugo in danger so that you could shine?"