Chapter 30

-Abbie's POV-

One week later

I jogged back to Paul's after work, eager to get home after the long day I had. It was finally starting to get warmer outside, and I was excited for summer to be here already. Some of the more thick-skinned people were already wearing t-shirts and shorts, but I couldn't possibly bring myself to dress lighter quite yet. I was still fine with my jeans and jumper.

I had gotten myself a job at the coffee shop where I went regularly and so far I was enjoying it. It was a quiet little place that didn't get overwhelmingly busy, which I was grateful for. The people who came in were nice and friendly; most of them being regulars that came in every day.

Today had probably been the longest day in my life. For once, I wished it would've been a busy day at the shop, just for something to distract me from the turtle-paced clock. I couldn't wait to get home, since today was the day I would know if I got custody of the twins again.

Karen had called a few days ago and told me the lawyers just had a few small things to check about the papers Paul had given her before she could give me a definite answer and that I could drop in at her office today after work.

When I finally reached Paul's house, I took no time in running up the stairs to my room, grabbing a fresh change of clothes, and hopping into the shower to wash off the day's smell of coffee beans and tea before going to Karen's office.

When I was done cleaning myself, I dressed into my fresh clothes and rushed downstairs, eagerly waiting for Paul to get home from work so he could take me to Karen's office. I settled with my book on the couch as waited.

Around an hour later, Paul got back, and he appeared in the doorway of the living room, a concerned look on his face. "Hey Paul" I greeted, looking up from my book and closing it, shifting nervously in my seat when I noticed the look on his face. "What's wrong?"

He merely turned around in the doorframe and walked into the kitchen without a word, causing me to get up and follow after him. I found him in the kitchen, holding a glass under the tap and filling it with water. He took his time drinking before turning to look at me.

"The boys know you're here." he said anxiously, clearly distraught by the idea.

I sighed and sat down on the chair at the table, worried. "How did they find out?"

Paul and I had agreed not to tell the boys I was staying at his place since, knowing Niall, he would probably try and find me to try and make me change my mind. And, even if Paul only told the other boys, Niall would find out eventually.

I didn't want to change my mind. Not yet. I needed a break, I needed to sort out my own things, and Niall needed to as well. Things had changed way too quickly for us, and I needed to take time to get used to my new life before moving forward. I had to get used to not living with my mother anymore, at finally having a decent job and now talking to my dad again before getting mixed with Niall and the band again.

I tried to change too many things about my life at once and it overwhelmed me. I have to take things slow now.

"I told them I had to leave earlier today to drive you to Karen's office, and they put two and two together and figured out you were staying with me" he admitted, setting his glass on the counter. "Niall literally begged me to let him come along. He was so set on coming here with me... He's a mess, Abbie." Paul added after a few seconds, causing me to shake my head in denial.

I hadn't heard from Niall or asked Paul how he was doing since I left, since I was afraid of letting myself go back to him. I didn't want to give in. "No he's not, he's doing fine." I insisted stubbornly.