TWENTY FOUR ; THE ARKENSTONE

¤¤¤

¤¤¤

While Magauna had indeed been quietly complaining to herself of the coldness in Erebor, she did find it to be convenient after she departed from Thorin and the vault. The Half-Elf saught out a place to sit by herself and contemplate the current happenings. She found that standing at the lookout in the front of the Kingdom's gate would be this place. The cold air from the mountains bit her face, turning it red, and it ruffled her hair everytime the wind blew past, but she found it to be almost calming.

Magauna had wanted to be alone with only her thoughts, but two pairs of hefty footsteps climbing up the stairs behind her ruined her wish.

"Go on, you first." Whispered the voice of Fili.

"Me? Why do I have to go first?" Kili whispered back in response.

"Because she likes you the most!"

"She does not! With the amount of times I've irritated her by making jokes about her arm, I'm surprised she hasn't run that fancy sword of her's through me."

"Kili, just go!"

"No! You do it!

"I'm the oldest, so I shouldn't have to!"

"That's the exact reason you should go first!"

Having heard enough of their petty arguement, Magauna sighed loudly and spoke loud enough for then to hear her. "The whispering is serving you two no good. It's like listening to a couple of children sneak up on their mother."

The whispering stopped abruptly, and there was a shuffle of footsteps as the brothers stepped out from around the corner of the stairs and out onto the lookout. Magauna studied the pair, seeing how they stood there awkwardly, and had anxious expressions on their faces.

"Do you need something?" The Half-Elf asked.

The two brother's glanced at each other warily, and then Fili spoke first. "Maggie... Thorin hasn't...done anything to you, has he?"

Magauna's eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"Like, been aggressive? Or shouted at you? Or threatened you?" Kili asked.

Since Smaug had been killed, Magauna had seen him do these things to members of the rest of the company, but never to her. In fact, Thorin hadn't once raised his voice at her since she arrived in Erebor.