10: Claw of the Eternal Beast (1)

Shu Yue stood in the Lu residence's courtyard, her hands clasped in front of her. Her bamboo sword was strapped to her waist, looking more like an ornament than a weapon and matching her benign demeanor.

She swept her gaze over the courtyard, surveying her surroundings, her face calm and relaxed. There were a variety of flowers and plants, which gave the place a sweet, comforting fragrance. Two parasol trees stood on both sides of the courtyard, their leaves swaying gently in the breeze.

The courtyard of the Lu family was spacious compared to the Chen residence. The Lu family was a large family, with three households living in this massive residence.

Shu Yue cast a glance at the two men in silver robes standing in the courtyard. They were the guards of the Lu family. The orange belts tied around their waists and the swords strapped to their hips announced that they were S-rank warriors.

Soon, the door of the main room slid open and Lu Baiyu emerged, another guard next to him. A black belt was wrapped around his waist, identifying him as an SSS-rank--the second highest level. He smiled when he saw Shu Yue.

"Greetings, Elder Lu," Shu Yue said with a polite bow.

Lu Baiyu nodded. "You came." He gestured to the two guards and said, "Please prepare a carriage for us."

Shu Yue's brow slightly furrowed, but immediately realized it. Since Lu Baiyu was secretly recruiting disciples and teaching them a secret martial art technique, it was only natural that he would have a secret place to handle things. He couldn't do it inside his own residence, could he?

Like a courteous and obedient woman, Shu Yue followed Lu Baiyu outside. But, of course, she kept her guard up despite showing a calm and composed demeanor. She was secretly reading the wind, in case there was a shift in their aura, so she could act immediately. If Lu Baiyu was really working with the mysterious man, she had to be even more cautious. This could be a trap, for all she knew.

"Where are we going, Elder Lu?"

"To the others." Lu Baiyu smiled at her. There was something ominous about his smile and the way he looked at her. It was a forewarning of some sort.

Shu Yue and Lu Baiyu boarded the carriage that was waiting outside his residence. During the ride, Lu Baiyu talked about his favorite grandson, Lu Rui. He mostly bragged about him, claiming that Lu Rui was a talented warrior with a promising future. At the age of eleven, he was already close to mastering the basic movements of sword techniques. Lu Baiyu also stated that once Lu Rui mastered the basics, he would teach him the secret manual that he possessed.

Shu Yue smiled faintly while she listened to the old man. Lu Baiyu sounded so proud of his most beloved grandson. He really doted on him, just as she thought. Little did he know that right at this moment, Xiao Ran was on his way to the Lu residence to take the boy. But Shu Yue had a bigger plan than simply using Lu Rui as a threat.

The carriage soon stopped in front of a bamboo forest. Stepping out of the vehicle, Shu Yue cautiously swept her gaze around. They were on the outskirts of Tian Village. Gazing at the lush bamboo forest, Shu Yue couldn't help but feel a sense of nostalgia. She used to train here with Xiao Ran.

After Lu Baiyu paid the driver, they entered the bamboo forest. The surrounding was silent. Towering green stalks swayed in the wind, their leaves rustling. The bracing scent of grass and damp earth perfumed the air, giving her a sense of peace.

The smell of nature. It was one of the few things Shu Yue genuinely liked in this world.

As they walked through a grove of bamboos, Shu Yue silently surveyed her surroundings. The wind whispered through the forest, the secrets it held reached her like a message in a bottle. There was a faint smell of sweat and metal, and the aura of internal energy could not be mistaken. She could sense the presence of several martial artists. They must be Lu Baiyu's disciples.