Chapter 68

---
A Few Hours Before:
---

Faust was attacked by Ch'en's squadron of Lungmen Guards. Faust's Phantom Crossbowmen fired as many bolts as they can, aiming for weak spots in their enemies' armor and openings in their shields. Their bolts pelted against shields and the city's terrain. The sound of bolts clanging against armor rang in their ears. Faust activated his Arts, concealing him from Ch'en's sight, and moved to flank her. But Ch'en's intuition helped her defend against his bolts. One normal bolt was fired; one purple bolt was fired.

There was a temporary ceasefire in the middle of the battle. Weapons were lowered, but eyes scoured the battlefield for an opening. But after a swift exchange of words, Faust stated that he killed Kaiser Rye.  He struck him down and pierced his heart. A question slipped out of Ch'en's lips, but Faust's answer was not thrilling.

"Don't know. After he was struck by my bolt, he healed his wounds and disappeared. He didn't want the fighting to continue. He wanted to end this as soon as he can, but he could never. No one can stop him now. He will stop this war, even if one of us dies."

Suddenly, both leaders initiated an attack. Faust fired a bolt through an opening of a fallen beam; Ch'en gripped her sword, Chi Xiao, and unleashed her Arts. A cloud of red slashed the Reunion leader's face. Ch'en's Arts blasted Faust's right eye out of its socket; her Arts scaled up and down his body, burning him, leaving scars in its wake. The Reunion leader was launched into a nearby building; rubble came crashing down on impact.

"Captain Faust!" His Phantoms cried. They ceased their combat and rushed to his side, attempting to dig him out from the stone slabs burying him.

But Ch'en did not leave unscathed; Faust's bolt tore into her left shoulder, shattering her bones and knocking her swords out of her hand. She clenched her teeth to resist the pain, but blood spilled out of her wound. The Lungmen Guards rushed to aid her, and for a moment, both sides dropped their weapons.

"Faust? Faust?!"

"Inspector Ch'en! Inspector Ch'en, Wake Up!"

It was quiet for all of them, except for their cries. Two leaders are on the brink of death surrounded by their subordinates. Faust was eventually dogged up by his Phantoms and laid on the ground; they hurriedly applied first aid to him, though blood gushed from his eyes. Ch'en was luckier than him; she could still move her body, except her left arm. Both the Phantoms and the Lungmen Guards stared at each other with pleading faces full of rage; they were all confused.

"You! I'll kill you! No one attacks our Captain like that!" One Phantom roared, raising his weapon.

"You scum should not have entered our city! Guards attack!" One Lungmen Guard growled.

A pillar of light came crashing down from the sky. A warm light swirled around everyone with snowflakes and dust. The soot on the ground began to rise, only to disintegrate in the air. The warm smell of spring was infused in the air around them, and they all lowered their weapon. Every one of them marveled at the sight of a pillar of light coming from the sky, like some higher being descending upon them. But the light faded as fast as it came.

Then it started raining. A cold soothing rain drizzled. Every raindrop created a white mist when it hit the ground. When the Phantoms and the Lungmen Guards were pelted by the droplets, they felt rejuvenated. Wounds disappeared; cuts vanished. Fear subsided and hope bloomed. Loud grunting could be heard from behind the Phantoms.

"Agh! Aghhhh!" It was Faust, missing one eye, body covered in burn scars, standing on his own two feet.

"Captain Faust!" His Phantoms called.