Genuine Surprise

Y/N POV: Once Shuichi and I reached the hole we saw that there was a staircase, was it supposed to be unlocked by a certain item? "There's gotta be clues here...let's go, Shuichi." I told him. Shuichi and I ran down the staircase and across the hallway. There were a few bits of debris that were quickly knocked away by me along with a bit more a little bit ahead. It took awhile to knock all of the debris out of the way as we ran at the same time but it didn't take to long for us to run into a door, it was unfortunately broken...but from the design. "This must be an Ultimate lab." Shuichi concluded. It wasn't open, but from what I remember there is only one Ultimate lab we haven't discovered yet. "It's Kokichi's... The Ultimate Supreme Leader's lab." I said. This door is supposed to stay closed...since if a student dies before their research lab is opened...the lab will remain closed. But since Kiibo's explosives broke the door, we should be able to get inside. 

Walking inside of Kokichi's lab was something I never thought I'd do, Kokichi's lab had a light blue tint to it along with gadgets on a wall, a dice logo on the wall ahead, and even a car on my right. All of these things and yet it certainly doesn't give me that 'evil organization' feel... Being a so-called 'Remnant of Despair' sure doesn't seem to look all that interesting by what I'm seeing. During...that time, Kaito was the one inside of the Exisal. But he didn't seem to know anything about the Remnants of Despair. But then again, Kaito and Kokichi weren't around when we used the Flashback Light. My thoughts about whether the Flashback Lights are true or not are complicated, I don't want to believe anything Monokuma gives us no matter what he says about how 'real' they are, Monokuma isn't truthful by any means and is only truthful when it's convenient for him or benefits the killing game, he isn't gaining anything by slowly feeding us the truth to the outside world so I don't see why I should believe him. Kokichi was resourceful in the way he handled dire situations, I'm sure there has to be something useful in here. Something that quickly caught my eye was a big book sitting on the ground. I quickly kneeled down and picked it up. It looked old but from what I can see it's a collection of files. "Shuichi, come here." I called out to him. "Did you find something?" Shuichi asked me. "...Probably." I muttered as I turned the book around to check the cover. "...The Complete History of Hope's Peak Academy?" Shuichi said, sounding confused. I began rapidly flipping through the pages, my eyes reading them as quickly as they would allow. And inside...I found something that shook me to my very core. Information on Hope's Peak Academy, Future Foundation, and the Remnants of Despair. And the photos that I saw in the book...were of people that I wasn't at all expecting to see. 

My hands began to shake as I gripped the book hard. "This is...a history of the battle between hope and despair." Shuichi mumbled. I...don't want to believe that the Flashback Lights were real, even now I still have my doubts, but...there's no possible way anyone could fabricate something like this, even with some of the most advanced technology in the world...there's no possible way that you could fabricate a photo with them in it. "No. Somethings not right." I muttered to Shuichi. "What do you mean? Are you okay?" Shuichi asked me. "Sh-Shuichi- I...know some of these people." I stammered out. There's no mistaking it, I...don't know why...but when I look at these people...I get a sense of familiarity, it doesn't help that they are with them also. "...Do you really have time to read a book?" Maki asked us. "Ah! Maki!?" Shuichi yelled. I continued to look down at the book in shock as something familiar to jolts ran through my fingertips, my heart pounded in my chest as I looked at the former students of Hope's Peak Academy. Their faces staring right at me...along with the face of my sister. I could feel myself almost tear at the book with my nails as I looked closely. "...The Complete History of Hope's Peak Academy? What's the point of reading this now? You already remembered Hope's Peak Academy with the Flashback Light, didn't you?" Maki questioned. "Yes, I thought that as well... Ah, Maki, this is the perfect timing. Will you come with me?" Shuichi asked the girl. "For what?" Maki asked him. "I need you to tell me everything you remember about the history of Hope's Peak Academy." Shuichi told her. "Huh? But why?" Maki asked him. "I need to...check something important." Shuichi clarified. "I don't really understand...but I just need to talk about it, right?" Maki sighed afterwards...and everything was drowned out. My blood rushed quicker than ever in my veins as I flipped through more of the pages, breaking out into an almost annoying mumble, I read everything out loud so quickly that it didn't even sound like I was speaking.