Chapter 42

For a moment, I was too flabbergasted to even speak. The looks on their faces were so dumb that I didn't believe a word of what Heath just said. And when it did register in my mind, I started to laugh.

Until I realized that Heath was completely serious.

Uncomfortable, I stared at them. Fixing my shirt over the veins, I fixated my attention to Heath. My tongue suddenly felt too heavy to be in my mouth. A bit afraid of the answer, I voiced my thoughts. "Is there even an antidote for this?"

They didn't answer.

For some reason, the implication that I might die within three days didn't quite have that panicking effect on me just yet. I looked at Cage, and then Heath. They didn't meet my gaze, but concentrated at the ground instead. "So that's a no?"

The only person I had to blame for this was myself. A bit of it fell on Cage as well, but it was mostly me. I should have ran that night when they took me into the forest. Just kicked Cage in the family jewels and ran. Or at least I should have made a better effort to escape before things went too deep. And they did. They did get too deep and now I couldn't dig myself out of the hole I created. Or perhaps I should just stay in this hole considering I might be getting buried soon.

I should have fought harder. Granted, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. But I did know that Cage Vickers was a bad person and that thought alone should have made me run. It should have. But it didn't, huh? I played with fate too long. I suppose the consequence was fitting. Too much power can crush even the biggest of empires. And the mentality of a teenage girl.

"It's a...maybe." Heath finally spoke.

"A maybe." I repeated.

"It's complicated." Cage growled. His eyes swept past my head and to the lobby doors that led outside. He wouldn't look me in the eye and it was making me anxious. Why did I feel like Cage was hiding something from me? "I need to go."

He started walking away.

"Cage." My voice cracked on his name. It was barely a whisper leaving my mouth, so it came as no surprise that Cage didn't hear me. Or maybe he did hear me and chose to ignore it. It didn't stop Cage from leaving. I watched, a crushing raw bitterness filling my stomach, as he disappeared around the corner. A moment later, we heard a door close faintly from somewhere.

So what? As soon as I became a burden, he decides to abandon me? I suppose it made sense. Cage Vickers had more important things to worry about than the unvaluable life of a teenage girl. But that didn't stop the bubbling rejection that ate my heart out. Even though I had no idea where Cage was going or what he was going to do, the fact that he walked out when I needed him here with me absolutely crushed every bit of dignity and self-respect that I had.

Surely, I couldn't have been the only one who caused this. I wasn't. Cage played a part in all of this, too. He was the reason for how I felt. That gnawing self hatred over one carefully composed man. If I meant nothing to Cage, why did he lead me on? Why did he kiss me? Why did he make me feel like the happiest girl in the world and then crush it without so much as giving it a second thought?

And why the hell did I not do the same thing to him? Because I was too nice? Too innocent? Screw that, my innocence was gone the moment Cage raised his gun and pulled the trigger on Micheal.

For a man who could kill his best friend, I suppose I should have known the answers to all those questions. That answer was that it was because he was Cage Vickers. The most fucked up crime boss that ever lived. Granted, that didn't forgive his actions. But it didn't forgive mine, either.