101

Moony draped his jacket over my shoulders. I slouched once the material hit my skin. My heels dug into the cement of the stairs. He leaned against the side wall, our shoes touched lightly.

"I didn't mean to get upset with you," he finally said.

Pulling the cuffs of the sleeves together, I toyed with them. We can still hear the laughter and cheers a few corridors over. The air seemed so nostalgic and heavy. I let out a sigh, feeling the firewhiskey settling in. My head grew lighter and the knot in my stomach looser.

"About what?" I questioned.

"About what you said in the hospital, dumbass," he reminded.

Oh. Well, I'm not even mad that he did. It's a given when you tell someone that one of your friends might've tipped us off. I don't really have the time to dwell on my butthurt from someone else's reaction when I'm looking out for them.

"It's whatever. I'm just looking for answers....and a means to an end," I reassured.

"I know. But I really don't think any of them would ever do that," he replied.

I looked at him from the corner of my eye. He clicked open his cigarette holder out of habit. No cigarettes were present and he let out a slight huff. He stuffed it back in his pocket. Averting my eyes, I stared off at the hallway the staircase lead into.

"I don't want to believe it either but you already know; I'd do anything to protect- protect you guys," I replied awkwardly.

Saying it outloud is so embarrassing. It sounds too much like a line from a movie. He chuckled, running his palms down his jeans.

"You still have that cursed hero complex, I see," he teased.

"Shove off, Moony. It's the strega mortale in me," I mumbled.

He knocked our knees playfully. I suppressed the urge to smack his face. Playfully, of course.

"Yeah? And how's that going?"

"Pretty well, I think. Want a smoke? I'll conjure one right now," I responded.

I turned my head to look at him. His smile twitched and I saw the thought pass his mind. He shook his head, hair strands falling over his forehead. Guilt washed over me when I revert back to another old habit.

It was so natural asking him to go for a smoke every other day. I didn't even have to ask him back in the day. We'd just make eye contact in the common room and I'll tilt my head. In turn, he would nod and follow me out the Portrait. Then, we would trudge around the castle hallways with smoke floating behind us.

"I'm sorry. I forgot you quit," I apologized.

"It's fine, really," he told.

I swallowed, regretfully. He noticed my lids lower and ruffled my hair comfortingly. I forget how much I missed out on. Being away from other kids my age really takes a number on my mentality. You can't mature alongside them and you can't grow as a person as well.

"I'll watch the others more closely," he suddenly said.

"What?"

"There must be a reason why you thought someone ratted us out. So I'll keep an eye on them," he explained.

It felt like one of the weights on my shoulders have been lifted. I thought I would've had to regret telling him and worry he would resent me for it from now on. But the fact he is doing this for me, he's not bitter about it.

"Remus, I-"

"Lupin, Phoenix."

My heart dropped and I felt goosebumps arise. The nasally voice made me put my guards up. On my thigh, my fingers wrapped around my wand tucked under my lace garter. Moony immediately stood when we caught sight of our interruption.

"Severus," he greeted through gritted teeth.

"Snivellus," I lowly added.

The Slytherin's sneer deepened. The shadows illuminated his deep cheekbones and frown lines. As I rose to my feet, Moony's jacket fell from my shoulders.

"I knew I'd encounter at least one bloody Marauder in this side of the castle," he drawled.

My jaw clenched in irritation at the sound of his slow tone. His sharp consonants and soft vowels made my fight or flight response activate. I wouldn't need my wand to knock the lights out of him.

"Here to ruin another night of ours? Or come to grovel at Lily from a distance?" I questioned, calm rage peeking through.

"No... To deliver a message to you, Crystallia," he corrected, an edge when he spit my name.

Completely disregarding my wand, I cracked a couple knuckles. My head lolled to the side to stretch it out, ready for the worst. His shoulders rolled backward in subconscious defense, his foot half stepping away.

"Mmm, and what is that?" I challenged.

"Fawkes," Remus warned.

"He gives you a choice. You come to him in surrender or-"

"Or what?" I cut in.

His lips formed a line when he heard my impatience. Severus Snape is a disgusting person. If I could shove his blood slurs down his throat I would. This greasy dickwad makes my skin crawl everytime I think about him. A true image of Slytherin now that it's accustomed to Voldemort.

"He will kill each and every person you love in front of you."

Before I could think, I had his robes in my fist.

His face close to mine as I glared into his black dead eyes. A stitch in my dress creaked when my muscles tensed. My skin felt on fire as fury bubbled in my veins.

"How about you send him a message right back, asshole?" I seethed.

His irises trembled when they made contact with mine. The smell of something burning filled his nostrils and they flared when he registered where it was coming from.

"If he comes near them..."

Smoke flowed between our heads and swirled into the atmosphere.

"I'll kill him before he even thinks of the curse. And it won't be pretty."

I released him, propelling him backward. His robes singed with ashes falling to the ground. He caught himself before he fell.

"You'll be next," I said absentmindedly.

Snatching Remus' fallen jacket up, I turned back the way we came from.

-lana
guys I've been such a fan of mars argo and she finally came back!! so I've linked the song and hope you too will like her music. I'm so excited for her future works