Chapter 5 - Avatar state

- Third POV -

"Avatar Aang! Can you hear me? Your friend is safe! It was just a trick to trigger the Avatar State- and it worked!" Says General Fong as he brings Mizuki above the ground. Aang lands on the ground forcefully, causing a flurry of dust to spread. General Fong is sent back several feet while Mizuki remains rooted to the ground where she was. Mizuki gulps nervously, this is going to end bad...Mizuki quickly runs towards a building and enters in the hope to find Katara. Meanwhile, the dust clears to reveal the ground broken and in ruins. Several houses are damaged. Aang's spirit is seen leaving his body and rising into the air as Roku's dragon, Fang passes by, Avatar Roku and Aang riding atop the beast.

"It's time you learned" States Avatar Roku as his dragon begins to ascend. They fly high above the clouds.

"The Avatar State is a defense mechanism, designed to empower you with the skills and knowledge of all the past Avatars" Informs Avatar Roku as he shows Aang a vision. Avatar Kyoshi is surrounded by a rocky mountain terrain. Her eyes glow for a moment and she assumes a fighting stance. In front of her there are two large earthen statues, which resemble badgermoles. Kyoshi performs a series of moves which cause the statues to rise into the air.

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body" Avatar Kuruk is riding atop a raft in the middle of the ocean. His eyes are glowing as he raises his arms and summons a gigantic tsunami-like wave. Suddenly, Avatar Kuruk vanishes. Avatar Yangchen appears, she's standing in a grassy field surrounded by a forest. Her eyes glow briefly as she swings her arms, conjuring powerful winds.

"In the Avatar State, you are at your most powerful" Avatar Szeto sumons lava spouts from four volcanoes.

"But you are also at your most vulnerable" The vision ends, and Aang looks confused at Roku.

"What do you mean?" Asks Aang.

"If you are killed in the Avatar State, the reincarnation cycle will be broken. And the Avatar will cease to exist" Explains Avatar Roku while Aang gulps nervously.

❀❀❀

Aang and Roku are flying on Roku's dragon, Fang. As soon as they approach Aang's physical body, Fang flies downwards, head first, passing through Aang's body and into the ground. Aang's spirit is brought back to his physical self and he exits the Avatar state. He falls to the ground and looks around, noticing multiple destroyed houses. Suddenly, he notices Katara and Mizuki exit a house. As soon as they notice him, they run towards him. Mizuki embraces Aang.

"I'm sorry, Mimi. I hope you never have to see me like that again" Sighs Aang regretfully.

"Ha! Are you joking? That was almost perfect! We just have to find out a way to control you when you're like that" Exclaims General Fong triumphantly while Katara glares at him.

"You're out of your mind" Snaps Aang as he lets go of Mizuki and stands up.

"I guess we'll figure it out on the way to the Fire Nation" Shrugs Fong as Sokka appears behind the general, riding an ostrich horse. He raises his club and strikes the general on the head, which knocks him out.

"Anybody got a problem with that?" Asks Sokka as he looks around at the soldiers, who shake their heads.

❀❀❀

As soon as Team Avatar is done packing, they exit the building were they slept for the past few days.

"Princess Mizuki, do you guys still want an escort to Omashu?" Asks a soldier. Mizuki looks at her friends, who shake their heads.

"I think we're all set" Replies Mizuki politely as she turns around to leave. However, she stops walking and turns around to face the soldier.

"Oh, I almost forgot, could you do me a favor and send this letter to the chief of the Northern Water Tribe?" Asks Mizuki. The soldier nods as Mizuki hands over the letter.

"Thank you" Grins Mizuki.

❀❀❀

Azula is standing on the balcony of one of the residential buildings. Two royal guards are standing not to far away from Azula.

"Anyone who harbors these traitors will face the wrath of the Fire Lord!" Exclaims Azula as he holds up two wanted posters. One of her brother and uncle, and another of Himiko, the ex-captain of her royal crew. The royal guards gulp nervously as they look at the posters. Aren't they her family members, and her trusted captain? What happened?

"There will be no place left to hide!" Scoffs Azula as she looks at the dark sky.

❀❀❀

Iroh and Zuko are running frantically next to a river, after a few minutes they stop and try to catch their breath.

"I think we're safe here" Huffs Iroh while Zuko pulls out a small dagger. He holds the knife under his ponytail and slices it off. Zuko holds his ponytail in his hand and looks at it for a moment before passing the knife to Iroh, who cuts off his topknot. The two topknots are released and float down the river.

"Hey uncle, why did that captain reveal Azula's plan?" Asks Zuko as he recalls a memory.

"I'm not sure" Admits Iroh while Zuko furrows his eyebrows.

"Do you think she has an ulterior motive?" Iroh thinks for a few seconds before answering Zuko's question.

"Perhaps" Sighs Iroh. Meanwhile, somewhere far away, Himiko's brushing her hair. She braids her curtain bangs into two small braids, with a feather on the end of each braid. After doing so, she looks at her Fire Nation soldier uniform. How much would a Fire Nation soldier uniform cost? I could sell it for some money. Himiko puts the uniform in her bag and begins to walk towards a small village. She looks down at the ground and sees her reflection in a small puddle. Damn, I look awesome in this outfit. I guess red just isn't my color. Himiko lets out a chuckle as she continues to walk towards the village.

To be continued

Word count: 1.008