Chapter 36- Adult Business.

So the kitchen fell into relative silence. Silas once again brought Brynn's can of coke up to take another swig, Brynn watching from the corner of her eye and squeezing her lips together a little tighter.

"So," Silas started, taking the can away from his mouth, "what happened as work?"

The question was directed at Ezra, seeing as he was the one who entered the room with a disgruntled face due to some 'idiot' at work.

Ezra slammed the can back down onto the counter behind him and opened his mouth to answer, which Brynn presumed wouldn't be pleasant judging by his extremely discontented face.

But before he answered, his eyes flickered to Brynn next to Silas. He narrowed them, "don't you have maths homework to be doing?"

"No," Brynn boldly answered. She didn't have maths homework to do, it was actually biology. And there was no way she wanted to subject herself to that on a Saturday evening.

"Yes, you do," Ezra deadpanned.

She probably should have got the message. "But I don-"

"Yes, you do," Silas ended her speech abruptly. Suddenly, the feeling of a hand ghosting over her back made her arch minimally. The hand gripped the back of her shirt collar and bunched it up, bringing her off the kitchen stool.

Silas released the shirt, using his knuckles to lightly push her forward. "So go and do it."

Brynn turned her head around to look at him, but he was already turning around and waiting for Ezra to talk. Ezra was only going to talk once Brynn left the room.

Brynn turned her head back around, taking a deep breath in, and started walking out. She felt like a child not able to sit with the adults at a family gathering or something. Not able to listen in on the "adult conversation".

She left the kitchen and ascended up the stairs, not sure what to do now. As she passed the countless amount of hallways, the amount of ideas on what to do became smaller and smaller.

It also felt like the amount of hallways she was passing increased more and more at a faster rate. There was hallway, after hallway, after hallway, after hallway, after hallway with old playroom.

Huh. Brynn pulled her phone out of her left back pocket.

9:26 pm.

She had time. She had just over an hour before lights out.

Walking down the hallway, she trailed her fingertips over a few of the pictures on the left, her eyes flashing over Brayden's old graduation sheet thing.

The room was exactly like she remembered it when she last saw it. The large, slim and tall window still revealed a stunning image of the full moon outside, dead centre. The white see-through curtains were still undrawn .

The carpeted floor still had toys and baby books everywhere. The piano still sat in front of the window with the light of the moon covering it like a blanket.

Brynn walked towards the piano, wincing when she made a loud noise kicking a race car over by accident. She kneeled down to pick it up, putting it back right side up and then stepping over it properly.

The piano was just as big as she remembered, the keys just as dull and the tattered seat just as tired.

Dust still layered over it. Not as much as last time, this was a more thin layer. Like the previous dust had been dusted, but some had come back, insistently.

Brynn lightly ran her finger over the dust, leaving a swirl and wiping it from her finger with her thumb.

Her eyes caught the wall in front of her, to the left side of the window.