Chapter eight

"Flag?" Charlotte asks, passing out same flags to those in the crowd of the parade, people taking one and thanking her. All until she asks Viscount Mabrey. "Welcome, Viscount Mabrey. May I offer you a flag?"

"Thank you, I am not waving aficionado. But I will wave out national flag when a true Genovian king once again sits on the throne," he tells her, before putting his hand on hers, holding the flag and chanting 'king Nicholas'

Over in a carriage, at the beginning of the parade, sat Mia, grandma and I, with Joe and Anthony stood on the back. Grandma was sat in the middle, Mia to her left with Joe behind her and me to her right with Anthony behind me. As we sit and wait Anthony places his hand on my shoulder and I rest my head on it, smiling. 

"Come on, we're already late" and with that the horses begin to pull the carriage through the streets of Genovia.

"Happy Independence day, Genovia! Here we are in Pyrus, capital of Genovia, for the big annual parade. Oh, here they come" Elsie says into the microphone as the parade comes into view, "There's the Prime Minister Motaz, strutting his stuff. People are coming from all over Genovia" 

As the parade continues down the street, the carriage I'm in passes by some children and I see two boys picking on a small girl who has her thumb in her mouth. "Stop the carriage!" 

"What's going on? Aurora?" grandma quietly yells, as I get out of the carriage and walk over to the children. 

"She's stopped the parade" "How rude" 

"Uh-oh. What's the princess going to do now? She's walking towards the childrens shelter"

"Hello, everybody" I say smiling at all the children before walking to the young girl, "Hello. What's your name?" I ask her gently.

"Carolina"

"And what are your names?" I ask the two boys behind her.

"John" "Blake"

"Did I see you messing with Carolina?" 

"They were tugging on my braid" Carolina replies, making the two boys walk away and the man who is with them all chuckles.

"Excuse me. These children are?" I ask the man quietly.

"Most of the are orphans," he tells me, making me frown, "we care for as many as possible"

"Carolina, how would you like to be a princess today?" I ask her.

"I can't, I'm too little. Too piccola" she replies.

"Oh, no. Because I declare that anyone can be a princess today. Well, why dont we get you a tiara, and you can wave and march in the parade? In fact, why don't you all take tiaras?" I say to the children, taking a tiara from a man that was selling them. 

"All? Give them all free tiaras?" he questions.

"I'll take care of it" I reassure.

"Thank you" Each of the children take a tiara, placing it on their head. As they are all chatting excitedly, I hear one of the boys ask if they could be in the parade as well.

"Of course. We could always use more princes in the world," I tell them, leading them all to the street into the parade in front of the carriage. "Ok, so. To be a princess, you have to believe you are a princess. You've got to walk the way you thing a princess should walk. So think tall, you've got to smile and wave. And just have fun. So are you ready?" 

"Yeah!"

"Drumroll please" 

"Give the princess a drumroll!"

"Just remember, you are a princess" I remind Carolina. 

"This has been Elsie Kentworthy and former Miss Genovia, Hildregaard Huffman, at the best Independence Day parade Genovia's seen in years. Thanks to Princess Aurora's special surprise. May the rest of your day be sunny-side up"

***

"And so, gentlemen, the children from the shelter will be housed at the winter castle in the mountains of Libbet" I say to the men in the conference room.

"The use of the castle as a resort is sort of a perk for parliament members and dignitaries" one of them argue.

"So these children shouldn't have a home, so you can have a ski trip?" I question him, "These kids are living a very difficult life. The least I can do is de-perk the castle and convert it to a children's shelter until money can be raised for one of their own. Lord Crawley, how is your brother doing?" 

"I don't speak to my brother" he replies.

"Oh. Well I've hired him to be the architect on the project" I tell him, smiling and greeting him as he walks in, "Mr Crawley"

"Your Highness. Gentlemen. Jerry" His smile drops as he greets his brother.

"Dean" Lord Crawley greets him in a similarly unenthused tone.

We then continue to organise all the changes that will be needed.

***

"We're setting up the ramp in the ballroom" Charlotte tells me, quickly running by in a hurry to organise everything. Tonight is my bachelorette party or bridal party. There are a total of 20 princess all ages 18-25, of course including Mia and Lily. 

"Ok" I call back to her. Mia, Lily and I are walking down the halls with out arms linked stepping over each others feet. Mia and my lady's maids are walking behind us trying to get us to go get ready. We're all just laughing to ourselves until we get interrupted. 

"Hello" Nick says, stood in front of me.

"Hello" I reply.

"Our hello's are insignificant," Lily sarcastically says to Nick, "Come with me" She walks down the hall with Mia and the lady's maids, leaving my with Nick.

"Are you crashing my bridal shower?" I ask, teasingly. 

"Sadly, no. I wanted to tell you that I was very impressed by what you did at the parade" he compliments.

"Oh really? Because I was told that you and uncle dearest had a chat about how it was all a stunt" I inform him.

"Well, it's no secret my uncle has a disliking towards you. However, that doesn't mean I agree with his statements. Also, congrats on the children's centre" he replies. 

"Thank you"

"She needs to get ready for the party" Anna say's, still stood slightly down the hall with the other girls. 

"She's busy" Ava say's.

"Anna's right, the guests will soon be arriving " I agree, "Goodnight"

"Goodnight princess" Nick then walks away. 

I link arms with Mia and Lily again and walk to where our doors are. We decide Mia and Lily will get ready in Mia's room and I'll get ready in mine and whoever's ready first will go wait in the others room. Then we'll be going to my bachelorette party. It's really starting to become real now. Oh my god, I'm getting married.