Chapter 48

Tw: mention of overdose and survivors guilt

"Real sweet but I wish
you were sober."

Max sighed, closing his bedroom door behind him. He flopped onto his bed, his head buried in a pillow.

After arriving home from the clinic, Jade had passed out asleep almost straight away. Allison had rang him, wanting to talk. It was kind of weird; they were friends, but only through the other members of the group.

The girl had explained how she had found hundreds of photos of both her and Jade on Matt's camera after the rave. The pair had agreed that it was in Jade's best interest to not tell her about the photos. For now, at least. With the way her paranoia and anxiety had been lately, she'd probably have a nervous breakdown or kill someone if she found out. Or both.

God. Could this week get any worse? Stalkers, evil lizards, Scott and him nearly getting killed, Jade collapsing. What else could be added to the mix?

                               ~

"How many glasses of punch have you had?" Lydia asked, sitting next to Jade who was lounged out on the sofa.

"Six," she replied, her words coming out in a jumble. "Are you drink too? Drank? Drunk?"

"Okay, I think that's enough," she laughed, moving her tray of drinks away from the blonde. "I'm tipsy, not drunk."

"You gave them to me!" she slurred. She sat forward, her head feeling fuzzy. Maybe it wasn't a smart idea for her to have had so much alcohol considering she only rarely drank. But hey! It was Lydia's party! And in her defence, she didn't even like party's, so she had to be drunk to get through the night. "Why aren't you off enjoying your party?"

Lydia sighed, crossing her legs as she sat back. "To be honest, I don't even know half these people. I'd rather sit here with you, someone I actually know."

"That's so sweet!" Jade exclaimed, sitting closer to the girl. How come she had never noticed how green Lydia's eyes were? They were like seas of emeralds. Emeralds were green right? Jesus. She was too drunk for this. "I'm sorry if we made you feel like we weren't telling you everything. The other day. In Allison's car."

"It's okay. You probably had a good reason," Lydia smiled softly. She didn't really get it, but she kind of did at the same time. It was hard to explain. The alcohol in her system probably wasn't helping either. And she didn't want Jade to end up crying if she told her the opposite.

"I'm sorry for pushing your face into the cake."

They were quiet for a few seconds before they burst into laughter. Lydia rested her head on the blondes shoulder, wiping away some tears from laughing too hard. She sat up properly, the both of them still smiling.

Since when were their faces that close?  She glanced at the girl's lips. Okay, she definitely imagined Jade doing the same thing.

Jade leaned in slightly, hesitating. Screw it. When Lydia leaned in too, she pressed their lips together. She let herself melt into the kiss, Lydia wrapping her hand in the girls hair.

They pulled back after a few seconds, just blinking at each other. Lydia let her hand slip down to rest on the blondes knee.

Jade jumped up, doing what she done best; avoidance. She yelled an apology over her shoulder, ignoring Lydia's calls for her to come back. She ran up the stairs, locking the bathroom door behind her. She couldn't do this. God, how could she be so stupid! This was why she never drank. She always done things she would regret in the morning. But, there was something even worse than that. She didn't regret it. At all.