Chapter 1 | downhill

Lying in bed for the millionth day on end was starting to get boring. But at the same time rather stressful. She hadn't done much in her current condition, Gabriel just thought it was because she was weak and sick.

She was of course, thanks to the broken miraculous. But that wasn't entirely the reason she wasn't working on anything.

She left lost, that's why.

When Nathalie looked into the eyes of the woman she loved as she slowly withered away Emilie asked her something.

"Nat- please, please look after Adrien for me. I can bare to see him hurt"

"Of course Em, I'll make sure he gets through this. I'll make sure he stays as happy and healthy as possible"

She promised about two years ago to her dying beloved that she'd protect her son. Nathalie could remember the day Adrien was born, Emilie held that baby close with tears in her eyes and biggest smile on her face. She welcomed him to the world with the gentle kiss of a mother and a crack in her voice. She'd tried so so hard for a baby, and she finally had one. Even if it wasn't by usual means, she finally had her own baby.

As long as Emilie was happy... Nathalie was happy.

The two had met many years before Nathalie became an assistant to the Agrestes. And their friendship was strong, although Nathalie always felt more. She never said anything though, as Emilie had eyes for the up and coming designer Gabriel Agreste. Who was indeed, not a girl. Again she'd fallen for a woman that had no eyes for her, but this time it was different. She couldn't move on. She'd close her eyes and see Emilie, hear her voice in the silence. She couldn't get Emilie out of her mind.

That friendship meant everything to her, even if she wanted more, she wouldn't push her luck. She watched Emilie marry Gabriel with a twinge in her heart, but at least Emilie was happy.

She watched the two have a child, she'd never seen Emilie so happy before.

She helped raise Adrien, when his parents were busy with work Nathalie would step in.

She watched Emilie grow weaker, and began to worry.

And finally, she watched Emilie die... dreading having to tell Adrien what happened to his mother.

Safe to say that Emilies death not only crushed the Agreste family, but Nathalie as well. She promised her secret love to protect Adrien, and she intended to keep that promise.

When Gabriel came to her with a plan to use the same jewellery that killed his wife to bring her back, she couldn't say no. She wanted Emilie back just as much as he did. She felt bad for having to hurt Paris in the process, but her desire to just see Emilie happy again overtook her. Things were going well until she started feeling sick, having dizzy spells, collapsing... just like Emilie did. She ceased her use of he miraculous before it could get too bad, and kept trying to help where she could.

That was until... she noticed.

Gabriel, a man who she once respected, had changed. For the worse. He was terrorising Paris for the sake of being evil at this point, he was enjoying this too much. And... he started to hurt his son in the process.

Nathalie wouldn't stand by that. She promised Emilie to protect him.

So now she was stuck, sick and not wanting to keep helping Gabriel. But she still wanted Emilie back. She'd been in bed for weeks just tossing and turning trying to figure out what to do and how to navigate things. She wanted her love back, but she didn't want Adrien hurt in the process. Gabriel was going off the deep end for sure, and she couldn't really think of a way to get out of this.