Chapter 21

Armin and Moblit sat at the top of the exit point and helped many of the scouts escape the underground fortress they were trapped in. Once they were above ground, they could see the destruction that travelled for miles on end. A large titan was producing steam at rapid rates and eagerly dragging itself towards the wall.

Each of Levi squad sat inside a cart and followed the rest of the soldiers towards the wall. Erwin planned to get to the titans destination first and form a plan from there.

"Erwin." Levi got the commanders attention.

"Anyone hurt?" He asked.

"Hange took a hit." The captain said as Erwin's eyes averted to the section commander.

"Doesn't look like anything too serious. Excellent work all of you." Erwin stated.

"I've got a whole load of things to report but first-" Levi was interrupted.

"Anything on that titan?" Erwin asked.

"It's Rod Reiss, look forward to hearing your thoughts on this, commander." The captain answered.

"Times short, we can't afford to stand here and chat, head back to the wall."

"You gonna let that thing drags it's fat ass all the way to the interior?" Levi questioned.

"Well, more specifically, we're letting it continue towards Orvue district." The commander elaborated before riding away on his horse.

"If that thing makes it past the wall then we're all screwed." Kaya said to Levi.

"You think you have a shot at getting past all that titan steam?" He asked.

"Titan steam isn't necessarily a weapon, it's a force produced by a living being. I'd only be able to make it a few metres ahead of you guys before the heat took effect." The ghoul thought aloud.

"All right, time to think. First off, lord Reiss was after the founding titan's power and that power currently resides within Eren. Thing is, the founding titan can only be used at full potential by someone of royal blood but then, when a royal does obtain the founding titans power, they take on the first kings ideology. Which means they'll refuse to do anything about the titans. Well, this certainly is a conundrum." Hange strategised.

"So the first king thinks this is true peace huh? I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with him there." The scientist added.

"You know, we still have the option to go back. We just need that titan to eat me, then Reiss will become human again. We could still have a true founding titan, it's possible." Eren looked towards the floor.

"Wait, you don't mean." Mikasa stuttered.

"It's worth considering, once Reiss turns back into a human, we could capture him and undo the first kings brainwashing. Assuming that it can be done, it may well open a path to save humanity." Levi agreed. "Tell me Eren, if that comes out to be our best bet, are you really willing to do it?"

"No." Kaya smashed her fist into the seat next to her. "If Reiss gets the founding titan then there's no hope for us. The founding titan has the power to control titans, but now we know that titans are actually people then we could easily be controlled too. It's too much of a risk to allow that to happen." The ghoul theorised.

"The plan you're discussing is full of flaws, for one, it might not be possible to free my father from the first kings will. And Kaya's right, if he alters everyone's memories then we're finished. Consider how much there is that we still don't know about the founding titan, this isn't worth the risk." Historia agreed with the ghoul.